2015 Yukon SLT Rear Tailight CPO Coverage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jsams22

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
UPDATE**

So an update.....but hilarious one......

I contacted GM, they contacted dealership and long story short they are going to repair the rear right tail light for me at no cost and just "eat it" if GM denies the warranty claim.

BUT, on the way home my wife was behind me and I asked her if my tail light was working and she said, "yeah the right one is, but the left isnt...." I laughed, she laughed. She wasnt joking. NOW THE LEFT one is out!! I immediately called the service manager back and assured him he was not on the MTV show Punked and Ashton Kutcher was not in the corner of the room hiding, but now my left tail light is out......He sounded very concerned and said he is going to have to talk to the manager again because the original right one they were probably going to have to eat the cost, but now that there are two, he doesnt know.....

My thoughts are if they BOTH went out within this small of a window of each other, 2 days, isnt this better for me fighting the claim or that there is an actual issue and not just the "light bulb wear and tear" they wanted to sweep it under the rug as?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

9 months ago I bought a 2015 Yukon SLT with 45k miles. I bought the CPO warranty and currently still under the 12month/12k mile Bumper to Bumper warranty.

Saw the rear tail light was out, took it in for warranty claim. They want me to pay the $800 repair, then wait a month to see if GM will cover the warranty claim, then pay me back or it be declined.

They are saying the tail light braking is under the "normal wear and tear" and may not be covered???? Its not like a LED bulb went out, the WHOLE panel is broken. How is this not covered as a part?

Any advice? Should i pay for the repair then pray GM covers it. The Service manager is pretty hard headed and not backing down on me not paying for it and waiting a month.

edit** Also I dont know why they quoted me $800, GM sells the tail light on their own website for $450.

Last edited:

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Contact GM if it is a certified GM warranty(GMEPP) and not an aftermarket extended warranty that you purchased. If it is aftermarket you are at the mercy of that warranty company. Good luck and hopefully it gets repaired. Also I would not pay more than the part cost in case you don't get your money refunded. Maybe try another Dealer. I'm sure you could beat that price on Ebay as GM Dealers sell on there at a discounted price, no tax and some offer free shipping.

Edit: Sorry I missed the part about it being a CPO in addition to buying a CPO warranty. It should be covered for 12/12 like you stated but I would still contact GM to confirm. Some of those Service Managers can be a real a**.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jsams22

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Contact GM if it is a certified GM warranty(GMEPP) and not an aftermarket extended warranty that you purchased. If it is aftermarket you are at the mercy of that warranty company. Good luck and hopefully it gets repaired. Also I would not pay more than the part cost in case you don't get your money refunded. Maybe try another Dealer. I'm sure you could beat that price on Ebay as GM Dealers sell on there at a discounted price, no tax and some offer free shipping.

Edit: Sorry I missed the part about it being a CPO in addition to buying a CPO warranty. It should be covered for 12/12 like you stated but I would still contact GM to confirm. Some of those Service Managers can be a real a**.

Thanks Tahoe14. Is it abnormal for them to make me pay for it upfront and wait a month to see how the cards fall?

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks Tahoe14. Is it abnormal for them to make me pay for it upfront and wait a month to see how the cards fall?

GM responds well to any complaint made with the BBB. Just saying...

dbbd1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Exactly how is the whole taillight "broken?"

OP
OP
J

jsams22

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Exactly how is the whole taillight "broken?"

The entire brake light isnt a bulb, it is a LED electrical panel. There are lots of forum threads about the electrical panel going out and no longer working. This causes the brake lights and running lights to not work.

see picture below

s-l300.jpg

OP
OP
J

jsams22

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So an update.....but hilarious one......

I contacted GM, they contacted dealership and long story short they are going to repair the rear right tail light for me at no cost and just "eat it" if GM denies the warranty claim.

BUT, on the way home my wife was behind me and I asked her if my tail light was working and she said, "yeah the right one is, but the left isnt...." I laughed, she laughed. She wasnt joking. NOW THE LEFT one is out!! I immediately called the service manager back and assured him he was not on the MTV show Punked and Ashton Kutcher was not in the corner of the room hiding, but now my left tail light is out......He sounded very concerned and said he is going to have to talk to the manager again because the original right one they were probably going to have to eat the cost, but now that there are two, he doesnt know.....

My thoughts are if they BOTH went out within this small of a window of each other, 2 days, isnt this better for me fighting the claim or that there is an actual issue and not just the "light bulb wear and tear" they wanted to sweep it under the rug as?

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No it is not normal for them to make you pay up front. I would contact GM as your CPO warranty is just an extension of the 36/36 factory new vehicle warranty and I am pretty sure that tail light would be covered.

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just saw your updated post. It could just be a coincidence on the other light going out or you have another issue. With your warranty it is up to the Dealer to figure it out and fix it right as if you have a 36/36 factory warranty. In your original post you stated you purchased a CPO warranty. What kind did you buy or was it the extra 12/12 you were referring to?

dbbd1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The entire brake light isnt a bulb, it is a LED electrical panel. There are lots of forum threads about the electrical panel going out and no longer working. This causes the brake lights and running lights to not work.

see picture below

s-l300.jpg
I know how the lights are set up but when you say "broken" you make it sound like physical damage, as opposed to simply in-operative/ not working. If it is a component failure in the light, yes, it may be (according to GM) a "wear" item. Rightly or wrongly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Willis12345