2015 + Weld-in Exhaust Options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SgtTackleberry

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi,

I just picked up a 2016 Tahoe LTZ 5.3L and was wondering what the stock piping is for a weld in? Is it 3.0 inlet/oulet or 3.5 now? Also, does the muffler have to be offset?

Reason I ask this is because I wanted to use the Borla XR-1 or Borla S-Type as opposed to the Borla Pro XS. I'm sure a good muffler shop can make it work but I don't want to take the chance and waste time and money. Let me know your thoughts on this. Thanks guys!

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any place that considers themselves an exhaust shop should be able to handle this without any issue or answer your question better as to what thier capabilities are. If they cant do either i would suggest finding a different shop and warning anyone you know to not go to that shop.

OP
OP
S

SgtTackleberry

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Any place that considers themselves an exhaust shop should be able to handle this without any issue or answer your question better as to what thier capabilities are. If they cant do either i would suggest finding a different shop and warning anyone you know to not go to that shop.

True, thank you. As for the factory piping size, is it still 3 or is it now 3.5?

tbordenet

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey Tony,
What about the 6.2 I already cut off the resonator. It sounded good on my 2008 just cutting off the little muffler, the 2015 sounds horrible in comparison.
Thanks, Ty

NORCAL SS

SUV SUSPENSION GURU
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
DO NOT CUT THE RESONATOR ON THE 15 UPS. HORRIBLE DRONE and sound. Just do the MagnaFlow muffler I have on my site and your done

jl449

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had my Magnaflow installed that I got from Mr. Tony... It sounds pretty pretty good!! very happy with the sound. A much throatier sound and NO DRONE!!! left flap valve and resonator. The flap valve is questionable... the muffler place said it looks like a 3" diameter vs the 3.5" only that small section. I almost had him remove it but didn't want to chance drone if I removed it. by the way it was a buck and a quater to get it welded in place.

View attachment 63454 View attachment 63454 View attachment 63456

View attachment 63455

Old - Copy.jpg

New1 - Copy.jpg

New2 - Copy.jpg

NORCAL SS

SUV SUSPENSION GURU
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Yeah if you take flapper valve out will be more deep