2015 Tahoe LTZ front shock/strut replacement options?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

deltabowhunter

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2015 Chevy Tahoe LTZ with 60,000 miles that just started popping a few days ago in slow speed turns, left or right. I checked my ball joints and there's no play. I took it to the local Chevy dealer and they said my shock abosorbers are shot and want $1900 (parts and labor) to replace the front shocks.

1. I'm not a mechanic by any means, but have worked on my own trucks for the last 18 years and I've never had a worn out shock make a pop only when turning at slow speeds. That seems odd to me.

2. Assuming the shocks are bad does anybody make a complete strut replacement for these magnetic ride vehicles? I'd like to just do the swap myself, but I don't want to compress the spring to replace the shock. I'd rather just replace the entire assembly as it is much easier since I don't have a spring compressor and I enjoy having all of my front teeth.

mark warren

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2015 Chevy Tahoe LTZ with 60,000 miles that just started popping a few days ago in slow speed turns, left or right. I checked my ball joints and there's no play. I took it to the local Chevy dealer and they said my shock abosorbers are shot and want $1900 (parts and labor) to replace the front shocks.

1. I'm not a mechanic by any means, but have worked on my own trucks for the last 18 years and I've never had a worn out shock make a pop only when turning at slow speeds. That seems odd to me.

2. Assuming the shocks are bad does anybody make a complete strut replacement for these magnetic ride vehicles? I'd like to just do the swap myself, but I don't want to compress the spring to replace the shock. I'd rather just replace the entire assembly as it is much easier since I don't have a spring compressor and I enjoy having all of my front teeth.

I have 63,000 on a 2015 LTZ and funny thing.....my magnetic ride shocks just started leaking and have to be replaced! I can't believe the price of these things!!!! I can buy a pair, brand new OEM for $750 but not sure if that's the best option! Keep me posted on what you do! This is unbelievable!

kentman

Reaction score
are shot and want $1900 (parts and labor) to replace the front shocks.

Ouch.

That is one upside of having the SLT rather than the Denali. I can get Bilstein shocks and do them myself pretty easily. Fronts would cost me about $150 total.

I am not planning on throwing away the OEM shocks until 80K to 100K miles. We will see if they last that long. So far at 67K, so good.

mark warren

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Has anybody out there replaced their front magnetic ride shocks???? Either back with OEM or another brand??? Need them ASAP!!!

SkiDooski02

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys! I'm in the same boat here...My 2015 LTZ just got quoted $2847 to replace all four so I am currently on the hunt for a replacement part number for both, I am going to figure this out so I will keep you posted because I'm not payin $3k for something I can totally do myself. That's ridiculous. And yes, my struts up front are making a weird squeaking/popping noise too, that's how I figured it out, going slow around a roundabout...can't hear it going over 20mph but you can feel it on the highway, lotta side to side/right rear to front left body roll/oscillation...I'll get back to yall on here soon hopefully!

atrex21

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have 63,000 on a 2015 LTZ and funny thing.....my magnetic ride shocks just started leaking and have to be replaced! I can't believe the price of these things!!!! I can buy a pair, brand new OEM for $750 but not sure if that's the best option! Keep me posted on what you do! This is unbelievable!

atrex21

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi- I am a long-term full-size GMC owner, having owned a 1990 Jimmy SLE, a 1995 two-door Yukon SLE which I've had for over 20 years and a 2011 Yukon Denali Hybrid.

I'm really frustrated because we replaced both magnetic ride struts between 50-60k miles. Then the car was in an accident and the front right one was replaced again. Now, with just over 30k on the new strut, it's leaking as well.

GM, the GMC dealer, our insurance company and the body shop won't do anything for us and now we are stuck with and almost $900 repair bill for the new strut, installation and alignment.

Before I suck it up, does anyone have advice on what to do (i'm not going aftermarket simply because I don't want to replace the other strut). I'm pissed off with this car and my wife wants to get rid of it now because she thinks it's an American piece of junk.

I wanted to start a new post, just didn't know how to.

razor488

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took my 2015 Yukon denali in for service at 52,000 miles and they said one of my shocks was leaking and quoted me approximately $950 plus tax to replace it. He said he would expect my other three to fail in the next 6-12 months.... I definitely didn’t expect this.

G00se

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m currently in the same boat (63k miles, fronts leaking bad, $1.8k to fix) and started my own thread on the best options. After getting feedback and doing research, I’ve narrowed it down to Bilstein 5100s I think. $380 for parts+ labor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons