2015 Tahoe frame RUST!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
K

kh0806

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Quick update:
I took the car to the dealer couple of hours ago. The manager said they've seen these trucks come in with rust on the frame. It's mainly because of the rubberized product that is used in the newer vehicle to prevent it from rusting. The problem with that is that as soon as there is a small chip in the rubberized coating it begins to rust from under. He did admit that mine is one of the worst he has seen. Today they gave it a quick sanding with a brush and put on different rust preventing spray (not sure the brand they used). Then he said if it starts to rust again to bring it back in and then they would have to completely sand it down to the bone and then put on their own rust preventing spray which will get rid of the problem. I wasn't happy with that answer really. First, I don't want to check on my car after every winter to see if it's rusting. It's a freaking $60k+ truck! Thats unacceptable. After a few minutes I was able to schedule an appointment it to have it sanded down to the metal and have it sprayed with better coating to solve this problem once and for all. I hope this helps other owners who may have a similar issue. I wouldn't wait to have rust eat through the metal and get into an accident and have the frame cave in. Here is a quick photo of the job they did. Good luck!

IMG_1013.JPG

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quick update:
I took the car to the dealer couple of hours ago. The manager said they've seen these trucks come in with rust on the frame. It's mainly because of the rubberized product that is used in the newer vehicle to prevent it from rusting. The problem with that is that as soon as there is a small chip in the rubberized coating it begins to rust from under. He did admit that mine is one of the worst he has seen. Today they gave it a quick sanding with a brush and put on different rust preventing spray (not sure the brand they used). Then he said if it starts to rust again to bring it back in and then they would have to completely sand it down to the bone and then put on their own rust preventing spray which will get rid of the problem. I wasn't happy with that answer really. First, I don't want to check on my car after every winter to see if it's rusting. It's a freaking $60k+ truck! Thats unacceptable. After a few minutes I was able to schedule an appointment it to have it sanded down to the metal and have it sprayed with better coating to solve this problem once and for all. I hope this helps other owners who may have a similar issue. I wouldn't wait to have rust eat through the metal and get into an accident and have the frame cave in. Here is a quick photo of the job they did. Good luck!

View attachment 62487
i agree its unacceptable and if i were in yer shoes i wouldnt like the answer really but from what youve said it sounds like the manager is more willing to resolve the matter then alot of the other managers ive had dealings with some wont even give you the time of day

OP
OP
K

kh0806

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm happy with them sanding it down to the metal and doing their own rust resistance. I'm confident after speaking to him that the issue will be completely resolved. The whole process takes three days and they are giving me a loaner. I'm ok with that.

gsd1019

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This is the under side of my 15 LTZ. I live in upstate ny where theres no shortage of salt and snow, i noticed the only real area that the coating is coming off is where it gets lifted up by the rack at the dealer.

D71A69DA-5F4F-4D24-AC9F-9DDC1EC6649E.jpeg E46AA923-CDA6-4E0E-88CD-9EE1DB22AF64.jpeg 435E0D1E-6613-4A41-855F-FC6C46F9E202.jpeg 1B198E2E-E17A-4673-B266-789F3F74DB99.jpeg F6045294-CFBD-4497-8BCC-3AAC3C3187AB.jpeg

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is factory spray in a can that is the same color rubberized texture. It has been discussed with a part number. Maybe someone remembers where it was if you want to buy a can to keep it factory looking.

RED TAHOE LS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
take it to dealer see what they say then call gm directly if you are not happy and open a case before you do anything they will contact dealer and try to get it resolved for you and if not then at least if something comes of this down the road you will be compensated by gm because this is a problem with there newer trucks and i am sure there is going to be a recall or some kind of buy back
Double that reasonable suggestion.
David g..........:)