2015 Tahoe frame RUST!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2015 Tahoe that I bought with about 5000 miles on last August. LOVE the truck and never had a problem with it. Not even buffering noise. Yesterday I get a call from another GM truck owner who says that him and few other guys at his work have noticed rusting on the frame of the truck. All their trucks are new. The oldest being two years old. So I went under mine and boy did I notice rust. The entire frame is rusted already. Some spots to the point of having holes in it from the rust. The truck has only 18,000 miles on it!!!! This is unacceptable. I called the dealer and they said "well the frame is made out of metal and metal rusts". Yea NO SHIT metal rusts... He then said to bring it in and the manager has to look at it and he will make the decision. Anyone else having this issue? Supposedly 2014+ trucks have had issues with this. Ive attached some quick pictures of it. Thanks!View attachment 62025 View attachment 62025 View attachment 62026 View attachment 62027

WOW id say "listen up smartass the only descision yer manager is going make is to fix it or become a hood orniment.

Donnie Yukonie

Yates Caretaker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 92 has spots like that and its been in NJ its whole life... Thats bad

fiatdale

Houstons Best
Reaction score
The pics you put up are of a typical jack / lift point. What about the sides of the frame, inside and out, etc. I lived in upstate NY for 25 years and always had this issue, new truck or not. Only took about a winter or two and it would never look new again under there. Try a different dealer, or call GM, but they may not do anything about it.

And its amazing because its not just a GM issue, its an every automotive manufacturer issue. Amazing that after so many years, there is still nothing that can prevent it 100%

Fifty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those holes are not from the rust btw. They are either access points or drain spots...but not rust holes.

The rest is surface rust, one salty road in winter, or quick drive on the beach at the ocean and bobs your uncle.

If it were me and I lived in a high rust area, I'd bang it with a wire brush (air tool) and either rust oleum it or take it to a coater that does undercoating. At the very least a truck bed coating.

But even that will eventually flake off especially if it's a jacking point.

fiatdale

Houstons Best
Reaction score
^Charles gets it. I really don't think this is all that bad, if you're in the salt belt. Typical.

chartersj

Reaction score
Yup pretty typical in areas where the roads are salted in the winter or near the coast. I live on an island in the northern atlantic ocean and the frame on my 2011 silverado still looks new. Two times a year i blast the whole underside of my truck with a pressure washer to get rid of any of that same black sh*t gm coated the frame with that has started to flake off, and then knock the rustcheck in a spray can to it. IF gm does anything for you they will just cover it up and probably make it worse. I am surprised that gm hasnt found something better to put on there frames yet. Its one of them things that if ya want it done right, ya gotta do it yourself...

OP
OP
K

kh0806

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I still think it's unacceptable for a truck with 18k miles on it. what will the truck look like in 5 years??

chartersj

Reaction score
I still think it's unacceptable for a truck with 18k miles on it. what will the truck look like in 5 years??

I totally agree. They need to start coating their frames with something different because this has been an issue for years now. I thought there was even a tsb out on the nnbs's due to the wax peeling and causing rust. Untill then, if you plan on keeping the truck for a long time i would do what i did or it will only get worse.