2015 Tahoe frame RUST!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kh0806

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2015 Tahoe that I bought with about 5000 miles on last August. LOVE the truck and never had a problem with it. Not even buffering noise. Yesterday I get a call from another GM truck owner who says that him and few other guys at his work have noticed rusting on the frame of the truck. All their trucks are new. The oldest being two years old. So I went under mine and boy did I notice rust. The entire frame is rusted already. Some spots to the point of having holes in it from the rust. The truck has only 18,000 miles on it!!!! This is unacceptable. I called the dealer and they said "well the frame is made out of metal and metal rusts". Yea NO SHIT metal rusts... He then said to bring it in and the manager has to look at it and he will make the decision. Anyone else having this issue? Supposedly 2014+ trucks have had issues with this. Ive attached some quick pictures of it. Thanks!download (1) copy.jpg download (1) copy.jpg download (2) copy.jpg download (3) copy.jpg

DenaliBQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i had a 2014 sierra denali not even a year old and 9000 miles it had rust on frame too i have a 2016 yukon now but i had the under body frame sprayed with an undercoating to prevent this from happening

AppocAlexx

Darth Appocalexx
Reaction score
It does look bad but if they dealer Is not going to do anything with warranty then take a wire grinder to it and see if its mostly surface rust then treat it with some rust inhibitor and seal with undercoating. My 07 Tahoe has been in Alaska for about 5 years and does not have that kind of rust on it yet. It also kind of seams like the manufacturing plant may have had some bad eggs when spraying the frames? Hopefully its a small issue and you can get it fixed. Good luck.

DenaliBQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
take it to dealer see what they say then call gm directly if you are not happy and open a case before you do anything they will contact dealer and try to get it resolved for you and if not then at least if something comes of this down the road you will be compensated by gm because this is a problem with there newer trucks and i am sure there is going to be a recall or some kind of buy back

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i had a 2014 sierra denali not even a year old and 9000 miles it had rust on frame too i have a 2016 yukon now but i had the under body frame sprayed with an undercoating to prevent this from happening

I had no idea undercoating was even a thing anymore! Where'd you get it done?

Sent from my iPhone 7s using Tapatalk

DenaliBQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score

i had it done in new jersey same place that does rhino liners for pick up trucks its was 500 they did the entire under body

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Cool. Is it the same material? Do they indiscriminately coat the entire underside or is it just on the frame? Thanks

1998Suburban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow. I'm assuming you live/drive in the rust belt states? I've seen rust proliferate like that but it was on an '88 Isuzu pickup I brought from FL to NYS. The truck was immaculate but one upstate NY winter made heavy rust break out all over the underbody and frame. Of course you'd think the manufacturers would have learned something from late 80s Japanese sheetmetal.

The early 2000ish Tundras had a similar problem. Toyota ended up replacing frames. Perhaps GM will go down the same road?

OP
OP
K

kh0806

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Wow. I'm assuming you live/drive in the rust belt states? I've seen rust proliferate like that but it was on an '88 Isuzu pickup I brought from FL to NYS. The truck was immaculate but one upstate NY winter made heavy rust break out all over the underbody and frame. Of course you'd think the manufacturers would have learned something from late 80s Japanese sheetmetal.

The early 2000ish Tundras had a similar problem. Toyota ended up replacing frames. Perhaps GM will go down the same road?
Yes, I live in Boston. But I feel like that much rust on 18000 mile vehicle is way excessive. Am I wrong to think that? What will the frame look like in couple of years? Getting in an accident in a rotted frame would not be fun.

1998Suburban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd give GM he&& and see if you can get some kind of extended warranty, undercoating, etc from the dealer. My '98 was sold new at Quirk Chevy (near Boston) and I got her when she was 8 yrs old. The MA/NY salt did a number on her. I've spent a lot of time replacing fuel lines, brake lines, rear bumper, etc.

One would think the art of rustproofing a frame has improved in the past 15+ yrs. It seems that it hasn't...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
navyboy14094