2015 Suburban: Exterior Pillar Covers Popping Off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

amydia4

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Last edited:

BMPNUGLS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tape and such won't hold up for very long......the dealership replaced mine with a newer version cover(s) that had the top mounts/studs held into place with a heavy duty hot melt from GM. Haven't had an issue since.

ajs800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
finally had one break loose on our '15 Yukon this past weekend. My plan is to use a plastic weld glue in a few spots. I think the heavy duty (outdoor) 3m tape or similar will work just fine but feel the key is to scuff both contact points to ensure it fully adheres. I've used that stuff for emblems and body trim in the past and never had any issues.

W8TVI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been in product manufacturing & distribution for over 25 years. Sometimes a component is engineered or fastened inadequately for the intended use, and no manufacturer can design for 100% reliability out of the gate. The issue is whether, or how, the manufacturer enhances or revises the component once a pattern of failure is determined---things like peeling steering spoke covers; failing door lock actuators; failing attachment of exterior trim; etc. Seems like some manufacturers have room to grow in this regard.

I believe these kinds of problems come from a company wanting to save money, so they get rid of the older more experienced engineers in favor of younger, cheaper ones.

The older ones would tell them they can't make them that way, it'd just come off while driving a couple of years down the road. :D

WillCO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Subbed. I love the internet. My wife and I have been going around for 2 weeks trying to find the source of this rattle on our passenger side. On Friday night we drove 30 minutes out of our way trying to create the right situation for it to occur. I read this and similar threads, walked out and pressed on the trim outside that door, and sure enough it has a couple millimeters of play - just enough to start flapping in a 70+MPH wind.

Last edited:

dubyagee01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well. That settles that. I was looking at new GM SUVs but Ill wait.

Btw, 3M 5200 silicone in black will hold it forever. You can pull an engine with that stuff.

Last edited:

sickk23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well. That settles that. I was looking at new GM SUVs but Ill wait.

Btw, 3M 5200 silicone in black will hold it forever. You can pull an engine with that stuff.
Then it sounds like you don’t need to wait. You already have a solution to the potential problem lol

Vector

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took mine to the dealer yesterday to have them fix one loose panel "out of warranty" on my dime.
Funny how a known design flaw /poor materials can be out of warranty on a 2-3 year old car with the design flaw having nothing to do with mileage.

Anyway, they took some type of black goo and tried to jam the upper portion that had come loose against the metal. It is not flush, and the goo is everywhere, including the paint, panel itself, chrome trim, even the inside of the door. It is like the tech had the stuff all over his fingers and just grabbed any and everything trying to get leverage. It looks horrible and this is after they washed the car. I cannot even imagine how bad it looked prior to the effort the car washer put in.

The panels exterior looks like crap, with discolored gloss of the black plastic. I am not going to try to fix anything, and bring it back to them to resolve this mess.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne