2015 Escalade noises

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sundancekid

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Bought a '15 CPO Escalade with 22k miles on it in October. After driving it a few thousand miles, several noises have come up that I am concerned about:

1. Clunk coming from transmission area when coming to a stop from speed at the 2-1 down shift, right before complete stop.

2. Whining noise when applying throttle, sounds like a rear end gear noise to me.

3. Intermittent clicking noise from steering column when maneuvering.

Writing this post because the truck sat at the dealership for two weeks, I test drove it with shop foreman where he "heard" the issues I was hearing and feeling, and nothing was recitified when I got it back. I'm extremely frustrated, the work order indicated they could not duplicate the issues. Supposedly they topped off diff with gear oil and tightened a front strut mount. Clearly this was BS just to say they did something.

I've read a lot on the issues with the 8 speed and just not sure what issue I have here? The rear end noise is really annoying too on such an expensive vehicle. Anybody that's had similar issues or can point me in the right direction so I can get this resolved would be greatly appreciated!

JWBGMC

Reaction score
I do not know whether what I will write will be helpful to you. I leased a 2015 Escalade with the six-speed transmission. I kept it in "auto 4WD" for all of the miles. Eventually, I started hearing undesirable noises when slowing down the vehicle. I think that GM knew of some sort of defect. I thus traded in this 2015 Escalade for a 2016 GMC Yukon Denali (same engine but 8-speed transmission). The 8-speed transmission, sadly, has some quality problems. In my 2015 Escalade, I experienced the "clunk" noise that you experienced in (1). That clunk was one of the reasons that I prematurely terminated my lease of the 2015 Escalade in favor of a 2016 GMC Yukon Denali with an 8-speed transmission. Well, it turns out that GM's 8-speed transmission has many problems. I made a big mistake. I should not have traded my Escalade with the 6-speed for the 2016 GMC Yukon Denali for the 8-speed. I made a big mistake. I must state that I found the 6-speed transmission in the 2015 Escalade noisy upon deceleration. That strange noise motivated me to change vehicles. I know that what I am stating in this post will not be of help. The only thing that I can do is to share my experiences. My 2016 GMC Yukon Denali has its own issues. Example: there is a horrible rattle in the passenger seat that my dealer has documented as real but which there seems to be no solution. Oh well. There will never be a perfect vehicle. I would like to know that GM vehicle is used by the CEO of GM. I wonder whether there are any GM executives who drive a 2016 GMC Yukon Denali and who hear that strange noise in the front passenger seat.

JWBGMC

Reaction score
Bought a '15 CPO Escalade with 22k miles on it in October. After driving it a few thousand miles, several noises have come up that I am concerned about:

1. Clunk coming from transmission area when coming to a stop from speed at the 2-1 down shift, right before complete stop.

2. Whining noise when applying throttle, sounds like a rear end gear noise to me.

3. Intermittent clicking noise from steering column when maneuvering.

Writing this post because the truck sat at the dealership for two weeks, I test drove it with shop foreman where he "heard" the issues I was hearing and feeling, and nothing was recitified when I got it back. I'm extremely frustrated, the work order indicated they could not duplicate the issues. Supposedly they topped off diff with gear oil and tightened a front strut mount. Clearly this was BS just to say they did something.

I've read a lot on the issues with the 8 speed and just not sure what issue I have here? The rear end noise is really annoying too on such an expensive vehicle. Anybody that's had similar issues or can point me in the right direction so I can get this resolved would be greatly appreciated!
In my 2016 GMC Yukon Denali, which is basically the same vehicle that you have, I have not experienced the whining noise when applying full throttle. I also have not experienced the intermittent clicking noise from the steering column when maneuvering. However, I HAVE EXPERIENCED THE CLUNK COMING FROM THE TRANSMISSION AREA. And I am completely convinced that GM is aware of the issue and will do anything in its power - in deference to the MBA's in the company - to deny any problems. I drive a 2016 GMC Yukon Denali. The shifts in the transmission are very rough. The ride is definitely rougher than the ride in my 2015 Escalade with the 6-speed transmission. I regret having exchanged my 2015 Escalade with the 6-speed transmission for the 2016 GMC Yukon Denali with the 8-speed transmission. GM's replacement in the 2018 GMC Yukon Denali of a 10-speed transmission in replacement from an 8-speed transmission in the 2016 model is an acknowledgment of the fact that the 8-speed was a complete failure. I can state that the 8-speed transmission in my 2016 GMC Yukon Denali offers (1) delayed shifting from PARK to reverse; and (2) a big and unpleasant CLUNK in the shift from speed 1 to speed two. The 8-speed transmission is a complete failure. Sadly, I am stuck with this inferior and experimental 8-speed transmission from GM. Today's GM is the result of individuals with the degree of Master of Business Administration. Individuals with the MBA degree always disagree with the engineers who uphold quality. Whereas Toyota remains a business that is dominated by engineers who are obsessed with quality, GM, and other "American" manufacturers of cars are under the ********** of individuals who have an MBA (Master of Business Administration) degree. These MBAs inevitably lead to a degradation of quality. The MBA's always achieve big bonuses for their masters as well as for themselves. The MBAs actually receive rewards for reductions in quality that result in higher profits.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kylesimmons