2014 stock 17" to 22" wheels = rough ride

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

American Dream

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey forum! Long time reader first time poster....
I am the proud third owner of a '14 Yukon XL SLT. Although, :( I am discouraged in the ride that I'm getting. I noticed that this Yukon came stock with 17" wheels and someone installed the Denali 22" wheels. I've seen others complain about "washboard" ride and that's a good way to describe it. It shakes bad and almost wanders sideways from all the bouncing in just a series of bumps in the road, paved roads with pothole patches, not gravel with actual washboard. I dread the day when I do hit that! Plus the high level of thumping cabin noise is extremely frustrating!! I've owned 2 older Denali's and never had this experience. I looked on Rock Auto and there's different shocks for Yukons with 17's vs 22's.
So here's my question...
Is the horrible ride and shaking and cabin thumping from the swapped 22's and shocks meant for 17" wheels?
I've never had 22" wheels so maybe that's the trade off for the bling? Less sidewall equals terrible ride.
Little bit of vehicle history...
First owner was a rental company so it had lots of highway miles.
Second owner I actually had conversation with and she drove from Indiana to Gulf Shores so many times to visit family that they racked up over 50K miles in a year!
There's now 99K Miles on it and new tires that are an off brand that I've never heard of.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Less sidewall does mean a firmer ride. Other than a different brand/model of tire with a better ride (certain Michelins are consistently regarded as having a much improved ride quality), all you can do is soften the suspension, which is where those shocks come into play. Or, swap to smaller wheels with taller sidewall tires. I want 22s. Would you happen to be close to Louisiana?

massivespl

I'm not mean, I'm honest.
Reaction score
Hey forum! Long time reader first time poster....
I am the proud third owner of a '14 Yukon XL SLT. Although, :( I am discouraged in the ride that I'm getting. I noticed that this Yukon came stock with 17" wheels and someone installed the Denali 22" wheels. I've seen others complain about "washboard" ride and that's a good way to describe it. It shakes bad and almost wanders sideways from all the bouncing in just a series of bumps in the road, paved roads with pothole patches, not gravel with actual washboard. I dread the day when I do hit that! Plus the high level of thumping cabin noise is extremely frustrating!! I've owned 2 older Denali's and never had this experience. I looked on Rock Auto and there's different shocks for Yukons with 17's vs 22's.
So here's my question...
Is the horrible ride and shaking and cabin thumping from the swapped 22's and shocks meant for 17" wheels?
I've never had 22" wheels so maybe that's the trade off for the bling? Less sidewall equals terrible ride.
Little bit of vehicle history...
First owner was a rental company so it had lots of highway miles.
Second owner I actually had conversation with and she drove from Indiana to Gulf Shores so many times to visit family that they racked up over 50K miles in a year!
There's now 99K Miles on it and new tires that are an off brand that I've never heard of.

The right tire will make a huge difference. I never like a 285/45/22 tire. To small. Need to get a 285/55/22 on there or a 305/45/22. More meat

OP
OP
American Dream

American Dream

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What about a conversion kit to air ride? Arnott has a kit on rock auto. Will it plug and play on the Yukon SLT? If not air ride then airbags?? I will use it to tow a trailer every once in a while so I don't want to go too soft on the shocks. I am not changing the tires for a long while. When I do change them I will deplete my 401K so I can get Michelins :)
Sorry dub, I'm keeping my twen twens!!
I appreciate your comments!

Trueform

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Arnott generally makes more robust air suspension parts for vehicles that were equipped with air suspension from the factory, not aftermarket air suspension kits. Do you have a link to what you saw?

OP
OP
American Dream

American Dream

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
https://www.arnottindustries.com/part_CADILLAC_yid6_pid180_gid769.html

Arnott C2722 conversion kit

If I sort through the rock auto mobile site and search my 2014 Yukon, that conversion kit pops up. I'm thoroughly frustrated with the ride. No reason that a $60K vehicle should ride the way it does. If I had bought this brand new I would have turned around and demanded my money back!
I gotta get this figured out. It's taken the luxury away from this luxury vehicle.

sickk23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not to nitpick but a 2014 SLT wasn't $60k new nor is it a luxury vehicle. It's most likely just riding like a truck. Have you checked for any broken springs or blown shocks? If you're the third owner, who knows what it's been through.

What you need is beefier, quality tires or new tires and rims. 20" would be the way to go without compromising ride quality or looking terrible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
American Dream

American Dream

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Not to nit pick but the MSRP for my Yukon as equipped in 2014 was $55K then add taxes and other dealership bull crap charges and a little simple math = $60K. Not sure what your standards are for luxury but for mine this just makes the list.
That being said, thank you for the help. I'll be crawling underneath this weekend and giving it a better inspection than my proctologist visits.

Ob1hybrid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I drive a 13 Denali w factory 22s and yes, the ride is a bit bumpy. 285/45/22 xl Angus ..I'm looking to put something on that's way more better as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9

Latest posts