2013 Tahoe luggage rack rails

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know if anyone ever (re-)installed the luggage rack rails,

but what are the part numbers. Is it just the rails and the screws/bolts? (mine had a luggage rack at some point, but was taken off, the plugs/inserts seem to be in the roof.)

thanks,

Ron

thirdcoast

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a set of the cross rails off of a 2014 Tahoe and you can have them for free if you pay for the shipping..

They are not real light and may be overlength, but if you have a FedEx or UPS account, it should not be horrible to NM from Victoria, Texas 77904..

Thirdcoast

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a set of the cross rails off of a 2014 Tahoe and you can have them for free if you pay for the shipping..

They are not real light and may be overlength, but if you have a FedEx or UPS account, it should not be horrible to NM from Victoria, Texas 77904..

Thirdcoast

That's really nice of you. The cross rails are the ones that go from left to right, correct? I was merely looking for the side rails (the ones on the left that go from the back to the front), and that I mostly would be doing to get rid of the holes.

But I might take you up on that offer.. This early summer I was actually "in the area", San Antonio, and in a week I am going to be in the Dallas area.

I'll try and see what shipping is.

Ron

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I called a GM dealer, and to my surprise my 2013 SSV factory did NOT come with a luggage/cargo rack. No I am wondering, since the holes are there, if the nuts are in there too and they are only capped/plugged.

Has anyone installed a luggage rack before, on an SSV that didn't have to use one? I might be able to get a complete luggage rack from a wrecked 2011 Tahoe LT, I assume that would fit (and would be great if I could just remove the plugs and bolt it in/on.)

Ron

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After I was done with the CB radio, I checked one of the holes for the luggage rack rails. I am pretty sure that the "G63: PROVISIONS LUGGAGE CARRIER, ROOF" basically means "holes in the right spot". I poked around in one of the holes, but didn't see/feel anything. Did anyone ever install or replace those rails?

Ron

PS: I attached a pic of one of these fasteners/nuts. The holes in the roof are hexagonal, and it looks like the nut/fastener goes in from the top. I wonder if it expands in a rivet sort of way?

rack-nut.jpg

Last edited:

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
After I was done with the CB radio, I checked one of the holes for the luggage rack rails. I am pretty sure that the "G63: PROVISIONS LUGGAGE CARRIER, ROOF" basically means "holes in the right spot". I poked around in one of the holes, but didn't see/feel anything. Did anyone ever install or replace those rails?

Ron

PS: I attached a pic of one of these fasteners/nuts. The holes in the roof are hexagonal, and it looks like the nut/fastener goes in from the top. I wonder if it expands in a rivet sort of way?

View attachment 188939
Take a pick of the hole on roof and of the top and bottom of the ‘fastener’

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
07-14 will fit no problem, (actually i think from nbs years up 00-14 will fit) i find it hard to believe the holes are in the roof with no nut in there. But then again, gm has done and does strange stuff...also escalade racks fit also.

Edit: Im answering you because i have a ‘civi’ 13 tahoe lt. (In case you’re wondering) i have no problem pulling my caps and taking pics for you btw.

Edit #2: looks like im wrong. You prob have to epoxy those nuts in there. Here’s a longbody with racks off20327AB7-6D82-46F5-9FD2-DCAFC69B8C81.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
07-14 will fit no problem, (actually i think from nbs years up 00-14 will fit) i find it hard to believe the holes are in the roof with no nut in there. But then again, gm has done and does strange stuff...also escalade racks fit also.

Edit: Im answering you because i have a ‘civi’ 13 tahoe lt. (In case you’re wondering) i have no problem pulling my caps and taking pics for you btw.

Edit #2: looks like im wrong. You prob have to epoxy those nuts in there. Here’s a longbody with racks offView attachment 188943

Oh I was able to take the plugs out, they are not glued even. They are rubber and are pretty snug (plug is a bit bigger than the hole). I poked around in the hexagonal hole and there doesn't seem to be anything there, on the inside. When I saw a pic of the nut (online) I wondered how it works.

I noticed the same rack (by GM part number) goes on several different models of GM truck/SUVs

I didn't take a pic, because after I pulled the plug, I saw nothing but a black hole, I think I would have seen the threads if there were any. I saw these nuts/fasteners on ebay for $0.99, so I guess GM found a ways to save almost $10 :)

Looks like yours has one hole more. Mine has the 2-1-2 'pattern of holes, looks like yours has a 2-1-1-2 kinda pattern (is it a Suburban?)

IMG_20171217_152918970.jpg

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh I was able to take the plugs out, they are not glued even. They are rubber and are pretty snug (plug is a bit bigger than the hole). I poked around in the hexagonal hole and there doesn't seem to be anything there, on the inside. When I saw a pic of the nut (online) I wondered how it works.

I noticed the same rack (by GM part number) goes on several different models of GM truck/SUVs

I didn't take a pic, because after I pulled the plug, I saw nothing but a black hole, I think I would have seen the threads if there were any. I saw these nuts/fasteners on ebay for $0.99, so I guess GM found a ways to save almost $10 :)

Looks like yours has one hole more. Mine has the 2-1-2 'pattern of holes, looks like yours has a 2-1-1-2 kinda pattern (is it a Suburban?)

View attachment 188955
Yes thats a suburban, not mine though, another members here. I was just showing you what it would look like with the nuts in. I would guesvthey are epoxied in. Good luck

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes thats a suburban, not mine though, another members here. I was just showing you what it would look like with the nuts in. I would guesvthey are epoxied in. Good luck

Hmm... but except for some 'thin' sheet metal, there is nothing in there that you can epoxy to. From what I see on that Suburban, and what the nut/fastener looks like it seems that the nut/fastener expands, sorta like a rivet. if it was in there epoxy-ed, I would wonder if a good gust of wind could actually pull it off.