2013 Tahoe 24" rims shaking car

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jacm79

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello-

First post here. Just bought a 2013 Tahoe, lowered about two inches and 24" rims. Problem here is when I start to drive about 65 mph, the car starts to shake. When I hit the brakes is stable an vs does not shake. Just when I drive over 65 mph. Any help greatly appreciated.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yer tires are out of balence either go back to the dealership that sold you the car and tell them they need to take care of that its a safety issue
or if you bought it from a private owner take it to discount or big O and have them balence your wheels theyll prolly do it for free

OP
OP
jacm79

jacm79

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
yer tires are out of balence either go back to the dealership that sold you the car and tell them they need to take care of that its a safety issue
or if you bought it from a private owner take it to discount or big O and have them balence your wheels theyll prolly do it for free
Thank you bro. I have an appointment for next Friday. I'm going that's it. But it seems like they already balanced the tires... Is there anything different with rims??

08grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rims could have small bend or tires may have hills or valleys. Have to spin each rim and look at it good to tell.

Mad Maxx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wheel(s) not Balanced...Wheel(s) Bent...Snapped a Belt in the Tire...or the little metal clips on the Studs that hold the Brake Rotor on weren't removed when the Wheels were installed.

OP
OP
jacm79

jacm79

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Wheel(s) not Balanced...Wheel(s) Bent...Snapped a Belt in the Tire...or the little metal clips on the Studs that hold the Brake Rotor on weren't removed when the Wheels were installed.
Nice, I'm hoping they fix this at the dealership I bought the car at. They might not removed those clips.

---------- Post added at 03:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:49 PM ----------

Thanks for the info. .keep it coming first timer with a Tahoe and rims

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dude i would wait till next friday just run to discount or big o and tell them you think your wheels are outta balance and they probably check em and balance them if needed
because if its not the wheels causing that shaking then take it to the dealer becuase his mechanic has a big problem to figure out

but im pretty sure they are out of balance because when i was in the undercar class in school when i first learned how to use the balancing machine i rebalanced my wheels and i used the wrong spacer to tighten th wheels on the machine and when i was done i test drove it and when i hit 75 mph exactly the whole truck started to shake

oh check yer rims out very very closely for cracks cuz if any of yer rims are cracked the crack or cracks my not be obvious they may be hair line cracks

Last edited:
OP
OP
jacm79

jacm79

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
dude i would wait till next friday just run to discount or big o and tell them you think your wheels are outta balance and they probably check em and balance them if needed
because if its not the wheels causing that shaking then take it to the dealer becuase his mechanic has a big problem to figure out

but im pretty sure they are out of balance because when i was in the undercar class in school when i first learned how to use the balancing machine i rebalanced my wheels and i used the wrong spacer to tighten th wheels on the machine and when i was done i test drove it and when i hit 75 mph exactly the whole truck started to shake

oh check yer rims out very very closely for cracks cuz if any of yer rims are cracked the crack or cracks my not be obvious they may be hair line cracks
Yeah, I'm going to wait to see what they will tell me at the dealer. I see they have some weights on the rims but I don't know how long it's been since they last balanced them. Do I need to take them to a specialized tire shop or any tire shop will do?

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there may be wieghts on the rims its possible some have fallen off
are weights your referring to stick ons or are they clipped on the outer edge of the rim

OP
OP
jacm79

jacm79

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
there may be wieghts on the rims its possible some have fallen off
are weights your referring to stick ons or are they clipped on the outer edge of the rim
They are sick on weights and I see some have fallen off the back rims...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fitransmission