2013 SSV audio/stereo upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am looking into upgrading the basic audio in my 2013 SSV to something that has AM/FM/GPS, touchscreen and preferably is plug and play (pull 'old' one out, new one in, without splicing etc ready to go)

Would be great to have something with lifetime map updates (like Garmin devices)

Satelite?XM not needed, USB (route cable through back of unit, to center console would be nice, to hook up a drive with music)

BT not a must, but would be nice.

Anyone done this before? Any recommendations for brands/models that will work?

thanks,

Ron

badandyturbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh man there are a lot of options. Without splicing you can get a factory unit from eaby. I think the Rosen unit is very similar to oem but it may need some splicing. Personally I use a Pioneer unit. They make a wiring harness for all of them that will retain your door chime.

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh man there are a lot of options. Without splicing you can get a factory unit from eaby. I think the Rosen unit is very similar to oem but it may need some splicing. Personally I use a Pioneer unit. They make a wiring harness for all of them that will retain your door chime.

Hi bad Andy,

Yes I see a lot of 'units' on ebay, and would like to get a factory one. (I am a skeptic about getting these google translate emails from chinese sellers saying "no problem, will make just fine, no worries" if the thing, new, costs close to $700.

Pioneer sounds like a good choice, at least from brand recognition. Another thing is updating maps. For example I have a Garmin GPS, one of these hand held, mounted on the wind shield. It works very well, and they have life time updates for maps. (Something I would consider for a "navigation system").
However a lot of these updates are done with proprietary windows software, sometimes MacOS, but never Linux, and I only have Linux/Unix boxes here (it's a work thing) and not really interested in getting a windows machine for just that.

So what Pioneer model did you get? (was it easy to install?) I'd probably prefer something:
- decently priced (I see used units for $1200 ???)
- easy to install, preferably plug and play (if possible with original harness)
- easy to update maps, OS etc. (somehow an Android one, that can be updated through an android phone
sounds good

let me know what you're using, that way I know it works too.
(oh and door chimes? I don't know if I even heard door chimes in mine (car running with door(s) not completely closed?)

Ron

PS: I was looking at something like this too, but .. used? for $800? https://www.ebay.com/itm/13-14-Taho...ash=item1ecdde1c51:g:dQcAAOSwkklZmzDg&vxp=mtr

Last edited:

Lightning 95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My PPV stereo seems sad even after have the front door speakers replaced with something pioneer, but as far as maps, nothing works better than my phone. I don't really need a sub, but would like to pick up a little more low end, maybe from the rear door speakers?

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My PPV stereo seems sad even after have the front door speakers replaced with something pioneer, but as far as maps, nothing works better than my phone. I don't really need a sub, but would like to pick up a little more low end, maybe from the rear door speakers?

well, that's what I kinda am looking for too. I have a Jeep GC and it's (also basic) stereo has a knob/setting (I forgot) where you can 'fade' the sound from the rear to the back (ad vs) I kind of like it, gives it a bit more "fuller audio".

My rear speaker are working, so I was wondering... actually more hoping on a maybe.

Also, on the OEM 'units' I see room for plus in the back, where some sort of harness goes, and it looks like the number of pins there match up with what I see in the center console I bought (that harness was cut,
However, the number of pins looks like that is where the harness for the rear audio could go.)

Anyway, I agree with google maps or so, you'd have a way better NAV-system ... BUT that doesn't work for me, I am in areas without cell service too often (for what I want to use "da Hoe" for)

soooo... a somewhat decent NAV-system, incorporated in the stereo would be nice. I have a Garmin hand held (aka wind shield mounted) works quite nicely for what I use it for. So something like that would work.

Ron

badandyturbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Ron.

I use a Pioneer AVH X4800BS. It does not have navigation so in your case it won't work. I use my phone for the few time a year I need assistance.

FYI you may already know this but you can download maps a in google to use at a later date if you don't have service.

So as far as built in Navigation you can go with a Pioneer AVIC-7201NEX with it built in or get a unit like I have and add the navigation piece to it. (AVIC-U280).

My educated guess is that Pioneers software is windows based.

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Ron.

I use a Pioneer AVH X4800BS. It does not have navigation so in your case it won't work. I use my phone for the few time a year I need assistance.

FYI you may already know this but you can download maps a in google to use at a later date if you don't have service.

So as far as built in Navigation you can go with a Pioneer AVIC-7201NEX with it built in or get a unit like I have and add the navigation piece to it. (AVIC-U280).

My educated guess is that Pioneers software is windows based.

That pioneer unit, with navigation, actually looks promising (checked on Ebay, looks like the price of those is also not that bad.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Doc52

Latest posts