2011 Tahoe turbo issues?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trc54

Reaction score
I've been looking more seriously into turbo'ing my how. One of my main concerns is the power handling capabilities of the stock 6l80, transfer case, and front diff. I'm looking to be in the 450-500whp range which should put me at my end goal of a low 13 second quarter. This is my daily/work vehicle so reliability is key. I've done some reading of guys swapping back to a 4l80 and honestly I see why. I've seen 1000hp rated 4l80s for around 3k which is not much more than a circle d clutch kit for the 6l80. If the 6l80 can hold my power goals I see no need to swap as I don't see the end goal being any different as I have a Shelby for the high hp stuff. I appreciate the input!

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it has to do with two things directly in which your trans will fail. Weight and tune.
But, seeing how they've been around for a while now and I don't think you'll have a problem.
Also, its been said that they hold 500hp just fine. On the other hand, there has been experience with them popping early to.

I believe you'll have to go through your drivetrain to compensate for the power eventually. Though you said its a daily so I cant imagine you'll be beating the snot out of it every day, haha.

Why Turbo? Have you considered a SCer?

I'm a 4L80E kinda guy :)

OP
OP
Trc54

Trc54

Reaction score
I think it has to do with two things directly in which your trans will fail. Weight and tune.
But, seeing how they've been around for a while now and I don't think you'll have a problem.
Also, its been said that they hold 500hp just fine. On the other hand, there has been experience with them popping early to.

I believe you'll have to go through your drivetrain to compensate for the power eventually. Though you said its a daily so I cant imagine you'll be beating the snot out of it every day, haha.

Why Turbo? Have you considered a SCer?

I'm a 4L80E kinda guy :)
I have considered an lsa swap but honestly the truck will be idling or driving from the time I leave till the time I get home. I used to be a pipe welder so I'm confident in my ability to fabricate pieces as the need arises. I wish the lsa were a screamer like the m112 or m122 eatons, that would make the choice even more difficult!

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have considered an lsa swap but honestly the truck will be idling or driving from the time I leave till the time I get home. I used to be a pipe welder so I'm confident in my ability to fabricate pieces as the need arises. I wish the lsa were a screamer like the m112 or m122 eatons, that would make the choice even more difficult!

I was thinking more along the lines of a Maggy 1900.
They've swapped the m122 onto a few LS based motors. It's a project though.
I'm a weldor by trade and have pondered the turbo build. Building the kit isn't the hard part, its the tuning that plays the bigger part of how reliable it will be.

I think a vehicle specific SCer kit would be more appealing, especially if your truck is running constantly. Less to worry about too.
I've seen some TVS1900 go for around $3k recently on eBay.

OP
OP
Trc54

Trc54

Reaction score
I was thinking more along the lines of a Maggy 1900.
They've swapped the m122 onto a few LS based motors. It's a project though.
I'm a weldor by trade and have pondered the turbo build. Building the kit isn't the hard part, its the tuning that plays the bigger part of how reliable it will be.

I think a vehicle specific SCer kit would be more appealing, especially if your truck is running constantly. Less to worry about too.
I've seen some TVS1900 go for around $3k recently on eBay.
I can get a turbo setup running for cheaper than the tvs1900 kit costs though.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 6L80 is rated for a maximum of 6,500 rpms and 439 ft lbs of torque. You'll want to beef that up or go with the 6L90 which is made for 6,200 rpms and 520 ft lbs of torque in a truck and beef that up.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can get a turbo setup running for cheaper than the tvs1900 kit costs though.

The kits I've seen were very reasonably priced and quite a bit less than any SCer kit, even used ones. The only reason I brought up used was there has been several 1900 up for sale that were all around $3k asking price.
Are you looking at any one turbo set up in particular?

The 6L80 is rated for a maximum of 6,500 rpms and 439 ft lbs of torque. You'll want to beef that up or go with the 6L90 which is made for 6,200 rpms and 520 ft lbs of torque in a truck and beef that up.

This is also true, just read this last night going through the forums.

SidewaystheSeven

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any updates on this? I'm leaning towards a turbo over the SC for my Suburban as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
navyboy14094