2011 Tahoe sputters under low RPM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DStarr02

Reaction score
This is strange, the only 2 things left would be fuel pressure, which seems to me that it would get worse when your higher rpms, not at lower rpms. Other than that, Trans? Or torque converter? I would check around here to see if anyone is familiar with the Trans more to get more info, not a cheap or easy fix in the home garage.

TheLoveClaw

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I took the wife's Yukon into the dealer again today. The brand new tires were feathering and only have a couple thousand miles on them. Since they had it in for that I asked them to take a drive and see if they could pin point the shudder/bumping.

So they found a loose inner tie rod and think that's the problem with the tires. When they were driving though the tech suspects torque converter shudder and they needed to keep it longer to do some actual tests to make sure.

My question is... If you were getting a torque converter what would you go with? OEM or are there better options? We generally only tow our 5000 pound hybrid travel trailer 6 to 7 times a summer but if there's something beefier that can handle towing in the Colorado Rockies I would prefer that. I just want to make sure if they call tomorrow and say it needs to be replaced I know what I want them to replace it with.

Thanks for all your help, this community is great!

- Drivetime, they did happen to notice some vibration coming from the AC compressor as well. They didn't talk much about it but I'll make sure to find out what they found and update you so hopefully it helps you out.

TheLoveClaw

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just got off the phone with the dealer... U-Joints are bad.

They tested the Torque Converter and found it to be working perfectly. Hopefully this helps anyone else having the same issue.

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm having similar issues and will start with cleaning throttle body then plugs/wires. Gives hesitation between 1500-2200 rpm when putting light amount of pressure on gas while cruising.

TheLoveClaw

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The Issue seems to have been resolved with the U-Joints. No more shuddering, and the Yukon is running nice and smooth now. The dealer was able to use their scanner and drive around while testing the torque converter and found there was nothing wrong with it.

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hear the u joint gets noisy, you hear a lot of cracks and such. I unfortunately dont hear this so worried its tranny related on my end. Sometimes I hear a noise but sounds like its more suspension related.

TheLoveClaw

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I didn't hear any noise at all and was totally surprised when they said that's what the issue was. When I first took it in the tech and I took a ride and they said it felt like it was the tires. We did have some feathering that was caused by a bad tie rod. Before we knew about the tie rod we put 4 new tires on and got an alignment. We brought it back in and went for a ride with the tech again and it was still there and this time he couldn't say it was tires or an alignment. That's when they took it in and went over everything and found the bad U-Joint and tie rod.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willie110hh