2011 Cadillac Escalade 6.2L Flex Fuel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wjoutlaw

Reaction score
Just got a 2011 Cadillac Escalade AWD Luxury edition and was wondering what I needed to look out for and improvements I can make. It has the 2nd row captains chairs which I am already not a fan of. It doesn't have the center console between them either. It has 49,000 miles on it and the rear suspension was replaced just before we got it.

The Range AFM Disable Module is on the list to acquire or does the 6.2L benefit better from a Black Bear Tune? It already has a ton of power and alot to spare, it runs like a ***** ape. I have to really pay attention to the speed on the highway. It is hard to keep it under 80mph. Seems like the faster it goes, the smoother and better it runs.

I am also not a fan of the 22" rims and would prefer some older OEM Escalade rims in the 17" to 18" range. If there is anyone in the San Antonio / Central Texas area with those rims or that has a rear bench seat in black leather, I would be willing to do a straight up trade.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty much anything can benefit from a tune. A custom tune costs a little more than the Range, but you can get so much more. If your Escalade is under warranty and you're plenty satisfied with it's current performance, then you should probably get the Range. A custom tune shouldn't void a warranty, but some places use it as a way out of footing the repair bill should something ever arise and they see that the tune isn't stock.

OP
OP
W

wjoutlaw

Reaction score
The Escalade is definitely out of warranty. I know a guy that was able to pull up the build sheet and all maintenance records available and send it to me. This model was built in November 2010 and does have the AFM enabled. It also has every bell and whistle that were offered in late 2010. After having it for the last three months, I have noticed that the engine seems to pause when going from 8 to 4cyl and vice versa. I've also noticed that it has a considerably rougher ride than the 2008 Tahoe we have.

According to the VIN history, the dealership did all the oil changes for the first four years. The transmission was flushed in January 2017. It has an oil cooler and transmission cooler too. The air ride suspension was replaced in Jan 2017. My FIL said there was a problem with the suspension so he got the dealership to go in half to replace the front and rear suspension.

Based on my experience from Cadillac cars, I thought the Escalade would be the same and ride like a floating sofa. I can feel pretty much every bump in the road with the Escalade. When the suspension was replaced did it get messed up somehow, or the air ride is set to bee too stiff, or is it just the way the Escalade rides?

I do like the 6.2L with the six speed auto transmission and the all-wheel drive. It runs like a demon possessed. It is wicked powerful even with the factory tune. I am saving up to get a Black Bear tune as soon as possible. I want to turn it into a hot-rod fuel economy be damned.

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In all honesty, I haven't tuned my 6.2L Sierra Denali because it's already scary-quick. Same powertrain as your Escalade (but no AFM ;-) ). My Suburban has a tune, and it would be very simple to flash a tune into the Denali, but I really just don't trust myself. Part of my Suburban's tune is removal of the electronic speed governor, and I've had the Burb up to an indicated 120 MPH.

Just in normal highway driving, the Denali goes from 70 to 100 so fast that I've hit the speed governor/shutoff without realizing I was going that fast.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it should ride better than you are describing. Look up Randeez on here and see what he's done to his 2011 AWD Yukon Denali. It's running 13s in the 1/4 mile and headed for the 12s.

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In all honesty, I haven't tuned my 6.2L Sierra Denali because it's already scary-quick. Same powertrain as your Escalade (but no AFM ;-) ). My Suburban has a tune, and it would be very simple to flash a tune into the Denali, but I really just don't trust myself. Part of my Suburban's tune is removal of the electronic speed governor, and I've had the Burb up to an indicated 120 MPH.

Just in normal highway driving, the Denali goes from 70 to 100 so fast that I've hit the speed governor/shutoff without realizing I was going that fast.

I recently had my L9H Tahoe tuned by Blackbear, and all I can say most of the time is holy shit!! The difference between tune is almost like.going from a 5.3 to a 6.2 all over again. The other plus is getting better city gas mileage because the transmission works with you, not always trying to get to 6th gear as quick as it can.

Chuck_Finley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let’s see some pics! Your rough ride could be due to the 22’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

08grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sometimes rough ride is actually programming. Pull the sensors off the front shocks and see if it rides better without the mag ride telling it what to do.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
W

wjoutlaw

Reaction score
Let’s see some pics! Your rough ride could be due to the 22’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes it has 22's I don't care for them at all. They look really out of place on an SUV. I'll take a few photos and post them. It is needing a new set of tires before the next inspection is due in November. I wonder if I can trade the 22" rims for a whole new set of 17's and new tires at some tire and rim shop. I would still like to keep the Cadillac rims though, possibly a stock set from an earlier year model.

OP
OP
W

wjoutlaw

Reaction score
Sometimes rough ride is actually programming. Pull the sensors off the front shocks and see if it rides better without the mag ride telling it what to do.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
That's an interesting idea. Might have to try that.