2010 Tahoe lifter tick

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trc54

Reaction score
Hey guys, my old man who bought a 2010 after I bought my 2011 has recently ran into a lifter tick issue. I'm aware that it's most like a dod lifter. I am confused on the best course of action. Should I look for a tuner near me that can turn it off in a tune and leave the hard parts out? I doubt that he wants to put a cam in it due to it already being lifted. I appreciate the input!

Goodinblack

I Like Tacos
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, my old man who bought a 2010 after I bought my 2011 has recently ran into a lifter tick issue. I'm aware that it's most like a dod lifter. I am confused on the best course of action. Should I look for a tuner near me that can turn it off in a tune and leave the hard parts out? I doubt that he wants to put a cam in it due to it already being lifted. I appreciate the input!
Once it starts ticking you pretty much have to replace the parts.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Jmar73

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Is the sound something new that developed or had when bought? Does it vary at all when warm/cold or hi/lo revs? Does it sit around a lot or run every day?

I will catch some flak, but I would say running some snake oil might be worth a shot (mmm or sea foam), personally I have had success with shell t6, different platform but same tick department, although there are a zillion varying factors.

79jasper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm running a full synthetic in ours. Only occasionly has a tick after a few thousand miles. Towards the end of the oil life, it ticks more.
Doesn't tick much for 213,000 miles though. Lol
We got in a 13 with just over 100k yesterday, ticked bad.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine ticks on occasion (not very often) but, for very short periods of time. Basically at start up, then stops.

Either way, disable it.
You don't have to put a radicle cam in it. In fact I think you can just replace the lifters. Its been done, not common but it has been done. I think the majority want to remove everything involved with the DOD all together.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The camshaft profile is different, not the same for the DOD lifters. Just putting stock lifters over them will cause misfire codes to be thrown. GMPP, Cam Motion, BTR, Vinci and Comp Cams are companies that offer mild camshaft upgrades without lots of lift. The LQ4s and LQ9s camshaft (12561721) is the closest grind to the LMG/LC9 but in Generation III form, easily adapted to a Gen IV block.

Last edited:

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The camshaft profile is different not the same for the DOD lifters. Just putting stock lifters over them will cause misfire codes to be thrown. GMPP, Cam Motion, BTR, Vinci and Comp Cams are companies that offer mild camshaft upgrades without lots of lift. The LQ4s and LQ9s camshaft (12561721) is the closest grind to the LMG/LC9 but in Generation III form, easily adapted to a Gen IV block.

You are absolutely correct. I misread the info I saw, my bad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hdheffel01