2010 Tahoe AC HELP!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gpracer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2.5 lbs of 134a is no matter how much oil it holds. Make sure the air is on recirc and on high speed blower with temp set to 60 or lowest setting front and rear, both driver and passenger.
How are you charging the system? Big 25 lb bottle or little cans? Plain 134a or some mix crap superdupericecoldarcticblend ? Purge the charge line to remove air before opening gauge valve. Add ounces per can into lbs correctly.....etc. It actually sounds slightly undercharged..assuming the compressor is not weak...what about at 1200 rpms?

gpracer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just for my future reference I just hooked the gauges to my 13 LTZ with front and rear on high blower recirculating.
Ambient temps 92 degrees, ac running for 10 min.
Low side 36.6, high side 209.3 with cooling fans on low.
Reved engine for a few seconds to kick the high fans on and back to idle, 34.4 low and 188.3 high. Cold air temp at 45and 43 degrees.
At 1200 rpm low 27.8 and high side 253.9 with cooling fans on high. Cold air blowing at 38 degrees on high blower.
Note I have the enhanced cooling package.
Hope that helps.

OP
OP
lowcomet

lowcomet

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just for my future reference I just hooked the gauges to my 13 LTZ with front and rear on high blower recirculating.
Ambient temps 92 degrees, ac running for 10 min.
Low side 36.6, high side 209.3 with cooling fans on low.
Reved engine for a few seconds to kick the high fans on and back to idle, 34.4 low and 188.3 high. Cold air temp at 45and 43 degrees.
At 1200 rpm low 27.8 and high side 253.9 with cooling fans on high. Cold air blowing at 38 degrees on high blower.
Note I have the enhanced cooling package.
Hope that helps.

I'm using cans of pure r134a. always purge the line and account for loss while purging, while on the scale between can changes and converting oz to pounds. I'm not sure at 1200rpm. But I can tell you I dont see those kinds of pressures on the high side. I was seeing around 125 high side idling and not much change when reving to 1000rpm. This Tahoe was originally destined for upstate NY. I live in Missouri where during summer months temps and humidty is high. What is this enhanced cooling package you speak of? Is it a specific RPO code for say trucks that stayed South?

gpracer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm using cans of pure r134a. always purge the line and account for loss while purging, while on the scale between can changes and converting oz to pounds. I'm not sure at 1200rpm. But I can tell you I dont see those kinds of pressures on the high side. I was seeing around 125 high side idling and not much change when reving to 1000rpm. This Tahoe was originally destined for upstate NY. I live in Missouri where during summer months temps and humidty is high. What is this enhanced cooling package you speak of? Is it a specific RPO code for say trucks that stayed South?

K5L is the RPO code. You will know when your fans go to high, they roar loudly and you can feel it walking by the front of the truck.
Your high side is too low. You were saying it was 90 degrees outside? At 90 ambient your high side should be around 170-220. Sounds like either compressor is not working properly, possible restriction in condenser as in metal (check for high line to be hot all the way to the gauge port, after that it should be cold at orifice) , possible rear AC expansion valve stuck open, or undercharged system.
When you rev the engine the high side should go up and the low side down. If it doesnt then compressor is bad.
Idle will always be the warmest so mid 40s is good on high blower. At highway speed mine blows high 30s around 38.

At this point I would add a few ounces of 134 at a time and watch the pressures, if undercharged your low side will stay almost the same and the high side will go up......temps should drop.

OP
OP
lowcomet

lowcomet

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
K5L is the RPO code. You will know when your fans go to high, they roar loudly and you can feel it walking by the front of the truck.
Your high side is too low. You were saying it was 90 degrees outside? At 90 ambient your high side should be around 170-220. Sounds like either compressor is not working properly, possible restriction in condenser as in metal (check for high line to be hot all the way to the gauge port, after that it should be cold at orifice) , possible rear AC expansion valve stuck open, or undercharged system.
When you rev the engine the high side should go up and the low side down. If it doesnt then compressor is bad.
Idle will always be the warmest so mid 40s is good on high blower. At highway speed mine blows high 30s around 38.

At this point I would add a few ounces of 134 at a time and watch the pressures, if undercharged your low side will stay almost the same and the high side will go up......temps should drop.

Expansion valve, condensor, drier, orifice was new at time of compressor replacement, everything else was flushed. yes 90 ambient. I tried adding a small amount with small change in high side pressure. if memory serves me correctly it was around 150 high side after adding a little. never saw much fluctuation with high side pressure. Ill be sure to check the liquid line to make sure its getting hot. low side, past the orifice sweats like crazy and cold. When i get a chance I'll hook my gauges up again and see where I'm at on pressures.

OP
OP
lowcomet

lowcomet

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

So im currently looking at my pressures and its 96 ambient temp outside. low pressure is 43 and high pressure is 30. Vent temps at idle are 60. High side line is nice and toasty and past orifice tube everything is sweating. if i hold the revs around 1200 rpm the fans kick in high gear and high side only goes between 30 and 35 i have the rpo code k5l as well. Im at my wits end. This is compressor #3. Sounds like its failing to me. What do you think?

gpracer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Screw it! I just ordered another new compressor!
So im currently looking at my pressures and its 96 ambient temp outside. low pressure is 43 and high pressure is 30. Vent temps at idle are 60. High side line is nice and toasty and past orifice tube everything is sweating. if i hold the revs around 1200 rpm the fans kick in high gear and high side only goes between 30 and 35 i have the rpo code k5l as well. Im at my wits end. This is compressor #3. Sounds like its failing to me. What do you think?

High side is 30-35???
I can only assume you mean 130-135 or you have a serious problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Willis12345