2009 Tahoe hybrid problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ClintKent

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
hello everyone. I have a 09 Tahoe hybrid and while I was driving the vehicle engine power disabled and it sounded like it went into hybrid mode but wouldn't move. I shut down the truck and restarted and it drove but super slow just enough for me to get into a parking lot and died. I got 8 error codes. P0016 p0106 p0068 p0ac4 p0ab9 and then repeated 0016 0106 0068. 12v battery didn't hold a charge and was dead so we replaced it but now dealership is saying I need entire hybrid battery pack. 214,000 km on it so it's not under warranty. Can I test individual modules to see if there are a couple bad modules and how would I do that because I can't afford the 5600 bucks they want.

tiktok4321

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Clint,

Sorry it's taken so long for anyone to get a reply to you. I hope you're subscribed so this post will find you.

First of all, there should be NO reason to replace the whole pack. I would first go through the following "cheap" measures before expending great expense or getting rid of your truck:

1) Replace your 12V and ensure that the terminals are connected TIGHT to the harness leads. This is VERY important!

2) Either self (if you feel competent to do so) or pay someone to removed your Hybrid pack and clean it out completely of any and all debris, and ensure the blowing motor is strong and unobstructed. also remove all the copper jumpers and clean them well.

3) See if it runs for a few days and starts acting normal. If you continue to throw codes, then take to someone to get the individual cells checked (or mechanical work as the case may be). A GOOD Hybrid shop should be able to replace individual cells for MUCH less than replacing the whole pack. I don't know where you are (Canada, I presume with the Km's), but I found someone who can replace the whole pack for $2,400. They only operate in the Eastern US, but they come to you. They don't diagnose, and they just come, swap, and leave.

Good luck!

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

ClintKent

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I already purchased a new hybrid battery. Dealership installed and they said that now I have codes saying timing chain jumped several spots and bent some valves and they want another 9 grand to rebuild part of the engine. I said no way. I will save to buy a new engine for 4700 bucks and install myself. They managed to start it and they said it putted and back fired.

dnt1010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mis-diagnosis seems to be the theme with the Hybrid vehicles. I hope the engine swap went well for you ClintKent the battery packs were designed to last 300k miles but some do and apparently most do not. It is probably way too late for most high mileage vehicles out there but Do NOT follow the OLM on the GM trucks on your new engine. If you do it will sludge the entire engine up and lead to early failure such as timing chain guide wear etc. Use a high quality synthetic oil and a AC Delco oil filter (or equal) that has the backflow valve inside and change oil at no more than than 5000 miles regardless of what the OLM (Silly) meter says the oil life percentage is. My stomach flipped when I recently pulled this valve cover off my 09 Tahoe with 198k that i jus bought, the previous owner (one family owner vehicle) swore up and down that it had always had synthetic oil and was changed per the maintenance schedule and I believe him but unfortunately that is NOT GOOD ENOUGH. My guess is that they ran it down to the single digits on the OLM (Lie O Meter) which was probably 10k or more. Sucs but it is what it is. From here forward it gets fresh Mobile1 every 3,000 miles. Maybe some of that caked on sludge chit will flush out as we move forward with proper maintenance. (doubt it this engine is friggin toast and is a ticking time bomb LOL) Here is a pic of the inside of the valve cover I wiped part of it with a paper towel so you ca see the contrast. I replaced it with a new valve cover so at least 1 part of the engine is clean Haha. It is a good thing that I bought this vehicle "dirt cheap"...................
IMG_6765.jpg
IMG_6766.jpg
2009 Tahoe Hybrid.jpg

dnt1010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is easily wiped off with a paper towel, not realy "baked" on but it still does not look good. I guess this explains why there are no leaks, they are all plugged up with oil sludge Haha. I dont think that light sludge will hurt anything much I will just do the oil changes evey 3000 miles and drive it till the wheels fall off. At 200k the entire vehicle is pretty much used up anyway.

santi

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
i have tahoe hybrid 2009 i was driving from pennsylvania to orlando fl, everything was fine until i arrived to orlando, this vehicle stopped working now won’t start and the dash say (battery charging sistem) and ( hybrid service sistem) i don’t know what’s happened... can someone help me.. QUESTION: if the battery pack is bad. can this vehicle still working jus in gas or need the battery pack?

santi

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
can still driving in gas if the battery pack is bad(tahoe hybrid 2009)??

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have tahoe hybrid 2009 i was driving from pennsylvania to orlando fl, everything was fine until i arrived to orlando, this vehicle stopped working now won’t start and the dash say (battery charging sistem) and ( hybrid service sistem) i don’t know what’s happened... can someone help me.. QUESTION: if the battery pack is bad. can this vehicle still working jus in gas or need the battery pack?
try turning off auto stop/ unplug the batteries
wait 5min

see if the car will boot up after resetting the connections .

sometimes a hard reboot fixes the problem and resetting the connections

it's a computer with wheels after all...

Last edited:

dnt1010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most likely your 12V battery under the hood is bad. Pull it and take it t a local auto parts and have them test it. No matter what the SOC is on the Hybrid battery if the 12V dies under the hood nothing happens, the 12V runs ALL the control systems