2009 Tahoe@ 202k Rear Axle Seals....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

metelhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So awhile back I was do a brake service and replacing rotors and pads (Powerstops, which have been sweet I might add)......When I went to do the rear brakes and pulled the rotors the parking brake shoes had a bit of oil on them....

So I assumed this was a direct cause to the axle seals been shot or worn, which then leads me to believe the axle bearings are also toast...

Now today when speaking to a mechanic about this issue, he went on the claim that it quite possible (as he said he has seen frequency with these rigs) that the axle is commonly worn a groove and new seals and bearings won't likely fi the issues with replacement of the axle, but won't know until they dig into it....This has logic, but just want know if anyone has experienced this as well?

I'm fairly sure he's just being cautious in the informing me, but I hadn't really read much about this previously.

Leevon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shop owner here, yes he is correctly informing you. Often when we see axle seal failure, it's a result of worn bearings, and the axle can be worn also in a way that a new seal will not have a good surface to ride on. The bearing surface can also be bad if the bearing is really toasted. So we price the whole job complete with new axle. Probably only needed 5-10% of the time, so the customer is usually happy that the cost is much lower. FYI my hoe is at 194k and needs a right rear axle seal, I am preparing to do an axle just in case.

OP
OP
metelhead

metelhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shop owner here, yes he is correctly informing you. Often when we see axle seal failure, it's a result of worn bearings, and the axle can be worn also in a way that a new seal will not have a good surface to ride on. The bearing surface can also be bad if the bearing is really toasted. So we price the whole job complete with new axle. Probably only needed 5-10% of the time, so the customer is usually happy that the cost is much lower. FYI my hoe is at 194k and needs a right rear axle seal, I am preparing to do an axle just in case.

Thanks....It turned out to just need seals, bearings were fine condition, as was the axle. I was also told, another option exists 'IF' the bearings/axle is too worn, there is option to relocated the bearing to a slightly different spot on the axle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Willis12345