2009 LTZ 41,600 miles totaled. Ins co won't NADA

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ranger8996

Reaction score
Just went through this last month when my 2011 Ford F150 Platinum that I bought new got totaled. I had 118,000 miles on it and my truck was exceptionally clean. I had brand new Michelin tires, new brakes and rotors all the way around and my vehicle had no dents, just a few rock chips and scratches...interior was immaculate. I was concerned that the at fault drivers insurance would not treat me fairly because my truck had high miles even though I always kept it in the garage and took very good care of it. As the other guys have said they are supposed to pay you based on what it would cost you to buy a similar in your market. Now the adjuster did note that my vehicle was exceptional and even with the high mileage penalty of close to $3000.00 they still valued my vehicle at over $25,000. you need to fight for fair market value for your vehicle.

HockeyRandall53

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This your insurance or the at-fault driver's insurance?

Screw it- take their offer then sell us some parts to cover the difference. I call dibs on the motor, trans, gauge cluster, shifter, dash and center console cupholder insert
i like your thinking. lol

Bruizza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure how this turned out for you but I went through this recently too. Insurance started at about 4k more than I owed on that truck. By the time we were done negotiating they gave 12k more than I owed on the truck. Took A LOT of phone calls, arguing and yes finding vehicles in my area that were for sale at a more realistic price. They will also claim that some aftermarket items you put on the vehicle are "preference". I was able to prove that even though they were preference items they added value etc....

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This all depends on the laws in your state. Every state has a set of rules that apply when an insurance company totals a car. And uninsured driver claims have different rules than collision claims. You never mentioned the specifics of your claim. Did the at-fault drivers insurance pay or were they uninsured? I just went through a claim with my Harley which is a bit different but gives you an idea of what happens if you just accept what they offer. It was the other drivers fault, who had no license or insurance so it fell under my uninsured motorist coverage. It was a complete custom bagger 2014 Street Glide but I only had liability. My insurance had their in-house guy look at it and offered me $21k. I bitched and sent them receipts totalling $20k in add on parts and paint. They offered $27k. I hired an appraiser that cost me $350 and he valued it at $43,600. They hired their own independent appraiser and he valued it at $42,500. I settled for their guys value. And since the appraised value was higher than their last offer they had to pay for my appraiser so they cut me a check for $42,500 plus $350. Deductible was waived. Quite a difference from the $21k they initially offered.

Nashoba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't we make a choice to be notified when certain threads are commented on? Perhaps the OP did not know to do it? if we have to, that is.

Goodinblack

I Like Tacos
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This all depends on the laws in your state. Every state has a set of rules that apply when an insurance company totals a car. And uninsured driver claims have different rules than collision claims. You never mentioned the specifics of your claim. Did the at-fault drivers insurance pay or were they uninsured? I just went through a claim with my Harley which is a bit different but gives you an idea of what happens if you just accept what they offer. It was the other drivers fault, who had no license or insurance so it fell under my uninsured motorist coverage. It was a complete custom bagger 2014 Street Glide but I only had liability. My insurance had their in-house guy look at it and offered me $21k. I bitched and sent them receipts totalling $20k in add on parts and paint. They offered $27k. I hired an appraiser that cost me $350 and he valued it at $43,600. They hired their own independent appraiser and he valued it at $42,500. I settled for their guys value. And since the appraised value was higher than their last offer they had to pay for my appraiser so they cut me a check for $42,500 plus $350. Deductible was waived. Quite a difference from the $21k they initially offered.
Amazing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts