2009 LTZ 41,600 miles totaled. Ins co won't NADA

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

geodavky

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My one owner, 41600 mile LTZ was totaled when the other driver ran a red light. State Farm won't give me NADA book for it. Book is for a "clean" car and I think mine is better than clean-- always garaged and not one single door ding or any damage history (not even a scratch).
Any help appreciated in getting full value for the vehicle you had no intention of selling would be greatly appreciated.

PivotalRex

Reaction score
My one owner, 41600 mile LTZ was totaled when the other driver ran a red light. State Farm won't give me NADA book for it. Book is for a "clean" car and I think mine is better than clean-- always garaged and not one single door ding or any damage history (not even a scratch).
Any help appreciated in getting full value for the vehicle you had no intention of selling would be greatly appreciated.

You can always try arbitration. Your best way of handling arbitration would be to hire a lawyer (you don't have to but you'll make a better case with one). Here's where you have to decide if the cost is worth it. Not sure how off they are on the number. A few hundred to a couple of thousand...personally I would grin and bear it. Anything more substantial and I would go the route of arbitration.

Blueinterceptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What are they offering vs nada value? Is the difference because of your low mileage vs the 100,000 miles it should have?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This your insurance or the at-fault driver's insurance?

Screw it- take their offer then sell us some parts to cover the difference. I call dibs on the motor, trans, gauge cluster, shifter, dash and center console cupholder insert

17Tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just went through a total on one of our cars. I asked for the valuation and GEICO said they don't have to disclose if the value is over 15k. Did end up seeing what they valued it at after they cut me the final check though in the claim file. Was valued way more than I expected. Hope it's the same for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JayceeP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
EDIT: Correction section now

Last edited by a moderator:

Twn7575

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Look for comparable vehicles for sale in your area. That's how most insurance companies value your car. If you find any that are more than their offer they will most likely consider them. The values listed on NADA or KBB are arbitrary. Your car is worth what someone is willing to pay for it so comparable sales are much more accurate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MidwestMike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Prices of what people are ASKING for stuff in your area mean nothing, you need to see what stuff actually SELLS for.

Put some items in your eBay list and go back later to see what the actual sale price was.

These nuts on Craigslist asking high prices gets people thinking it is realistic. I had some old tables that people were asking between $300 and $3000 on CL. I ended up giving them away for free.

My statement is: Just because you see someone asking $100 for a coat hanger on Craigslist doesn't mean you have 3 grand of coat hangers in your closet. :)

(should be done today, but my 02 Tahoe with 80k was posted, but the price I'm taking is not what the price is in the ad.... Hard to figure out a starting point, I saw them for $1500 up to $8900 for 150k "low mile" vehicles that dealers were posting. )

Nashoba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everyone knows that MidwestMike. Twn7575 was referring to the sales prices. We all know hardly anyone gets asking price, unless they are a good price. My neighbor just sold his 65,000 mile 2009 Silverado extended cab for exactly what he asked, $7500. Sometimes asking and sale price are accurate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amberv96