2008 Z71 with Strut and Strut Assembly Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheCandelar

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Have an 08 Z71 (2WD) with strut issues. It's leaning to one side and the front seems to be the source of the problem. I never leveled the car and want to kill two birds with one stone.

Debating whether I should get a rancho quick lift kit or just go with OEM strut and strut assembly.

Any thoughts? How much more expensive is a leveling kit vs. original assembly?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-J

01Konvict

Boats n Hoes
Reaction score
5100 shocks all the way around then level whats needed with strut mount perches on shocks.

NGAneer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd go 5100s if I was going to do both struts and level at the same time. Maybe add a small spacer if the 5100s lift isn't enough for you.

OP
OP
T

TheCandelar

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
5100 shocks all the way around then level whats needed with strut mount perches on shocks.
My mechanic said I need to replace the strut and strut assembly; he didn't mention shocks. Does this sound right?

01Konvict

Boats n Hoes
Reaction score
Well the spring comes off and you get a new strut then remount spring. So just do 5100 all corners and you will see the ride quality change

NGAneer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Correct. The strut is the "shock" part of the strut assembly. Place the spring on the strut and you have a strut assembly. It comes out in one big chunk, spring and strut together.

If I were going to recommend a spacer, I'd recommend TGC because its what I have and what I have experience with. Mine is a 2.5 but you'll probably want a 0.5" or 1" at the most with the Bilsteins on the top notch (or 1.7" from what I know).

http://www.topguncustomz.com/c-1362676-leveling-kits-chevy-gmc-suv-2008.html

The 1" kit is just that. The 1.5" kit is a 1" bottom spacer and a 0.5" top spacer "ring". With the 1.5" you could pick and choose to see which one gives you the height you want.

OP
OP
T

TheCandelar

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well the spring comes off and you get a new strut then remount spring. So just do 5100 all corners and you will see the ride quality change
What do you think of the rancho RS999901? I was told they were good

NGAneer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ranchos are fine. When 5100 fronts are only $100/ea and OEM are ~$75/ea the decision is almost made for you. If it were me, I'd go 5100 first and OEM second. Up to you.