2008 Z71 Suburban, 7.5" Lift, 35s No Trim, More

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

battlewagon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2008 Chevy Suburban Z71
7.5" Rough Country Suspension Lift
35x12.50x20 Nitto Trail Grappler M/T Mud Terrains
20" Eagle Alloy 050 Wheels
Procomp rear trailing arm drop brackets

Pretty much it for mods, I did all my calculations on tires, wheel offsets and widths, and all that jazz to achieve a no rub set up with no trimming other than the notch out of the Z71-specific plastic around the running boards that you have to notch on pretty much any larger tire.

Doing my research now on my shock upgrades. Any recommendations are welcome. Looking for a shock that is 'stiffer' or 'more HD' than factory.

Truck is loaded otherwise, all the usual good stuff, Nav, DVD flip down, Bose with option center console sub, etc.

But just like every car I currently own and 50+ I have owned, it is for sale if someone wants to buy. $21k in south Texas.

I DO NOT recommend the Rough Country kit. The kit out of the box does not come with the rear trailing arm drop brackets. As a result, the rear axle is pulled forward significantly. So much so, it is almost rubbing on the front side of the wheel well. Was undrivable above 60MPH, and you couldn't get it in a lane due to swaying and floating all over the road. Of course, Rough Country said 'derrr never had a customer complaint' but they are full of it or their customers are too dumb to notice. Even if the customers somehow avoided the swaying and floating, the axle would still be sucked forward way beyond normal, messing up the rear geometry. The Procomp brackets fixed everything, and now I can drive 80+ confidently.

I hate to say it, since I currently have a 4" Rough Country on my 1991 Silverado that has been on there for a decade that I've been happy with, but this kit for the Tahoe Suburban is basically sold without the needed parts to be driven safely, no if ands or buts about it.

Love my Nittos, these are the only tires I run on all my trucks. Definitely has a M/T hum to them, but not bad. Love them.

Eagle Alloy is another brand I run on many vehicles. Made in USA.

20160910_155136.jpg

01111_aJ4kiwBWIlc_1200x900.jpg

20161117_162617.jpg

This is the truck I came from, 2014 Silverado I bought off the lot. 9" with the same Nitto/Toyo Trail Grappler M/Ts but in 37s. Loved the truck, but just like the Suburban, everything is for sale, and someone showed up with the cash in hand.
FB_IMG_1434769181508.jpg

Let me know if I can answer any questions for you all about the lift, tires, etc. Thanks to @01Konvict for some help in troubleshooting during the lift.

I will add more pictures as mods come.

MichaelSE

2010 2500
Reaction score
Nice Suburban, looks just as high as the Silverado even with the lift/tire size difference. Good warning on the RC kit also; seems like they're hit or miss with quality.

How is the ride - I assume since you're looking for stiffer shocks that it rides close to factory plushness?

How's life in the RGV? I used to go to Laredo often.. I know that's a bit further north, but I love that area.

01Konvict

Boats n Hoes
Reaction score
Your burb looks great! Happy to help fix the rear end issues. That's been a downside to that kit and mine from FTS. The front end of that kit is a 5" with 2.5" spacer so puts it at max angle. Not my favorite but not terrible either. I would get some lift version UCAs. FTS makes some good long shocks to fit the front struts. Rear shocks I would run 5160 part # 25-187601. Those are for the 00-06 body but they fit the 07-13s too just valving is a little different since the older ones had steel bumpers. Check shock length to make sure it will fit your 7.5, those are 28.1"/16.5". Another option is the truck shock 25-177428 which is 31.3"/18.2". It will tighten up the suspension a little. Only other options are full coilovers up front for $1000

Last edited:

GabrielPiceno

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Great looking suburban. I'm looking for some help. I recently installed same kit on my wife's 2007 Tahoe. Drivability and handling is horrible. Rear end feels sloppy and get same "floating" feeling. So much so that we both don't enjoy or feel safe driving it. What is the part number to pro comp rear trailing arm drop brackets? Also the traction control/abs kicks on when take turns. Was told this was do to larger tire size? installing a hypertec programmer would fix issue?

Wife's grocery getter below
2007 Tahoe 2wd
7.5" RC lift with lift struts up front no spacer
20x10 -22 fuel nutz
295/70/20 pro comp AT (33x12)

Thanks for help in advance

Tahoe1jpg.jpg Tahoe2.jpg

Last edited:

01Konvict

Boats n Hoes
Reaction score
Great looking suburban. I'm looking for some help. I recently installed same kit on my wife's 2007 Tahoe. Drivability and handling is horrible. Rear end feels sloppy and get same "floating" feeling. So much so that we both don't enjoy or feel safe driving it. What is the part number to pro comp rear trailing arm drop brackets? Also the traction control/abs kicks on when take turns. Was told this was do to larger tire size? installing a hypertec programmer would fix issue?

Wife's grocery getter below
2007 Tahoe 2wd
7.5" RC lift with lift struts up front no spacer
20x10 -22 fuel nutz
295/70/20 pro comp AT (33x12)

Thanks for help in advance

View attachment 187262 View attachment 187263

You need to calibrate the speedometer but that may not completely get rid of the traction control light. That’s just part of the lift. I haven’t confirmed but think the only lifts that might not have the issue are the no track width increase kits. Mine still kicks on highway exit ramps.

You need some 1.25” bora wheel spacers. That will even the track width. You will need to trim the studs so they don’t protrude past the spacer. You could do 1.5” spacers but that might make rear wider than front.

Here are the pro comp drop brackets and hardware. See instructions link for install. Have to call and special order from summit. Part # 90-1785, 90-1790, 90-6276.
https://www.procompusa.com/aux_incl/pdf.ashx?pdf=51947B_K1141B_INST.pdf&line=EXP

If the rear still feels loose after that update then order some eibach sway bars. That will tighten everything up.

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Or, just maybe, drop her back to stock height, or close to it.

GabrielPiceno

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You need to calibrate the speedometer but that may not completely get rid of the traction control light. That’s just part of the lift. I haven’t confirmed but think the only lifts that might not have the issue are the no track width increase kits. Mine still kicks on highway exit ramps.

You need some 1.25” bora wheel spacers. That will even the track width. You will need to trim the studs so they don’t protrude past the spacer. You could do 1.5” spacers but that might make rear wider than front.

Here are the pro comp drop brackets and hardware. See instructions link for install. Have to call and special order from summit. Part # 90-1785, 90-1790, 90-6276.
https://www.procompusa.com/aux_incl/pdf.ashx?pdf=51947B_K1141B_INST.pdf&line=EXP

If the rear still feels loose after that update then order some eibach sway bars. That will tighten everything up.

Call Summit today. Part numbers have been updated to: 91-1785,91-1790. 90-6276 still valid. Thanks again for all the help. Really much appreciated.

OP
OP
battlewagon

battlewagon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just seeing this but yes the rear drop brackets will fix all of those issues. I had all of them, including the TC issues. But then the POS 5.3 dropped a lifter and ruined the motor. So then I bought a 2015 tahoe; and it did the same thing, out of warranty. Self paid for the $3000 repair, and sold it. Probably done with GM forever.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne