2008 Suburban custom tail light Mod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Well I finally got time to do this tail light mod that I have been wanting to do. Its nothing real special but I think it kinda gives the truck a more modern look like the 2015+ trucks because some of them have amber turn signals.

I rewired the original turn signal location as an additional brake light and installed an LED bulb that strobes a few times before staying on.

I removed the original 2 wire socket for the reverse light and replaced it with a 3 wire socket and put White/Amber type 2 switchback LED bulbs so that the clear portion of the lens now acts as the reverse light and the turn signal so it does double duty.

I also installed Can bus LED bulbs in the original brake light location so the cruise control still functions correctly and I installed a resistor on the turn signal to keep it from hyper flashing from the LED bulb.

The first video shows the left tail light with the Mod complete and the right tail light in stock format.

This second video shows the tail light up close after dark.

Let me know what you guys think.

My next will be an Escalade 3rd brake that is modded for full width LEDs but with a twist... Lol stay tuned.

OP
OP
kbuskill

kbuskill

Reaction score
Thanks guys... I like them and they were relatively cheap so that's even better.

05Single

afraid of the dark
Reaction score
Nice job!
I have red/white switchbacks for the same idea in the reverse lights, just need to do the wiring.

Link to can bus bulbs ?
And will you add the esky 3rd mod to this thread ? Don't wanna miss that;)

OP
OP
kbuskill

kbuskill

Reaction score
Nice job!
I have red/white switchbacks for the same idea in the reverse lights, just need to do the wiring.

Link to can bus bulbs ?
And will you add the esky 3rd mod to this thread ? Don't wanna miss that;)

Here is a link to the Can bus bulbs I bought:
Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/222390929400

And yes.... I will be installing the Esky 3rd brake light tomorrow and will post pics and a video to show the twist... Lol

I sprayed the spoiler for the Esky 3rd today with the 3 stage white diamond tricoat and I am letting it cure up over night and will get it installed amd wired tomorrow.

The only "problem" that i have had with this mod is that I am getting power backfeeding through to the front parking lights when I step on tge brake pedal. I assume it must be one of the LED bulbs allowing the power from the brake side of the bulb to cross over to the parking light because I didn't cut or splice into any parking light wires for my mod. I will investigate this further tomorrow. I know it is the parking light side of the front lights because the turn signal still makes the front bulbs get brighter even when the brake pedal is depressed.

Anyway... Here is a pic of the spoiler after I painted it.

rps20170422_001410_621.jpg

I know... Nothing we all haven't seen before... Lol

kwOH

Banned
Reaction score
Here is a link to the Can bus bulbs I bought:
Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/222390929400

And yes.... I will be installing the Esky 3rd brake light tomorrow and will post pics and a video to show the twist... Lol

I sprayed the spoiler for the Esky 3rd today with the 3 stage white diamond tricoat and I am letting it cure up over night and will get it installed amd wired tomorrow.

The only "problem" that i have had with this mod is that I am getting power backfeeding through to the front parking lights when I step on tge brake pedal. I assume it must be one of the LED bulbs allowing the power from the brake side of the bulb to cross over to the parking light because I didn't cut or splice into any parking light wires for my mod. I will investigate this further tomorrow. I know it is the parking light side of the front lights because the turn signal still makes the front bulbs get brighter even when the brake pedal is depressed.

Anyway... Here is a pic of the spoiler after I painted it.

View attachment 79880

I know... Nothing we all haven't seen before... Lol
May not be something that we haven't seen but still awesome and one of my favorites, first thing i did to my nnbs. You'll have regular people with escalades thinking theirs is brokin lol

Sent from iPhone 7 plus using Tapatalk Pro

05Single

afraid of the dark
Reaction score
Interesting, even tho canbus still might have to wire in some resistors

Last edited:
OP
OP
kbuskill

kbuskill

Reaction score
Yeah I thought about adding a couple diodes to keep it from backfeeding but I am not certain if it is the upper brake light bulbs doing it or the "new lower" brake light bulbs that are the culprit... I will test it today when I pull them and figure it out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zeronightwolf