2008 5.3 engine replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Twindoo

Twindoo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice,, not sure what to do just yet. Found out the 2010 engine won't work according to people I talked to?? Anyway I found a 2008 engine w/50,000 and might do that?? I would probably do the dod delete, Do I have to replace cam if I go that route? Were their both iron & aluminum blocks for these suburbans? If so which is better?

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any Gen IV will work and bolt in with no modifications. Other than tuning depending on which motor you put in, a 5.3 should drop in and go.
You do not have to replace the cam. If its out, swap cams. You wont regret it.
Only iron blocks came in the full size SUVs. The TBSS' came with aluminum blocks, I think.
As to which is better, its all personal preference. Aluminum will save about 80lbs.
For daily use I wouldn't mind an aluminum block.

OP
OP
Twindoo

Twindoo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks 992dr, supplier has an aluminum block and iron block both low miles, guess I will look at both

Tacky

Reaction score
If you now live, or ever live in an area where emissions are tested, you need the same type engine that came in the truck, with functioning AFM. Many mechanics will not do an AFM (DOD is the same thing) delete because t is tampering with the emissions, and subject to a large fine.

Nashoba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is a lot of trouble, takes a lot of time and requires some safe space to keep your old engine and "part" it out. I'd try to get some trade in for the used engines you are looking at. Your old engine ought to be worth $750 to $1000 in trade. Maybe less if it is really trashed. There is always a "core" value for parts in good shape like the block, heads, pistons, push rods, etc. I'd even be tempted, if you had to tools and secured work space, to keep the old engine and rebuild it over time and then sell it for $4 grand or so to get your money back. That way you could get your vehicle back on the road, have a nice project for a while, and make some money out of the deal.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks 992dr, supplier has an aluminum block and iron block both low miles, guess I will look at both

Nice, I wish I knew someone around me with a decent selection of Gen IV motors, haha.

If you now live, or ever live in an area where emissions are tested, you need the same type engine that came in the truck, with functioning AFM. Many mechanics will not do an AFM (DOD is the same thing) delete because t is tampering with the emissions, and subject to a large fine.

Actually any Gen IV can replace the 5.3. They bolt in directly with no modifications, the only thing necessary is tuning.
Mechanics in general wouldn't have a problem doing the work as long as they are not affiliated with the facility doing the emissions testing.

OP
OP
Twindoo

Twindoo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the input decided to go with new GM long block just didn't feel comfortable with a used....new was $200 more then reman

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice. I agree 100%. That's why I'll be going with a TMS when the time comes.
Before you buy one, check out the links I posted.
They have some great deals and priced right.

corona718

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
How did this work out for you?

I had the same cylinder lift crap out on me in September '16 (I bought the Tahoe in February '16)

$2,700 to replace all lifters. --> I initally tried to open up the engine myself with the Hanes manual, but it got to the point where I ran out of knuckles to bloody.

Buying the Range DOD Disabler in a week before a road-trip to Montreal in May.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In for updates as well.

Corona,
What year is your Tahoe?
Ouch, $2700. Not good.