2008 5.3 engine replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Twindoo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi all 1st time post, I have a 08 suburban z71 w/137,000 miles and had a misfire code on cylinder7, turns out afm intake lifter is stuck... that's great just bought it a year ago and only have put 8000 miles on it.. o well. Was quoted $2200 to fix it, that's doing both heads and fixing the 2 broken ex manifold bolts. I can get a used engine out of a 2010 w/40000 miles for $2400. The truck is worth fixing its in great shape, should I consider a jasper reman engine? If so do they have it less AFM? Looking for some advice this is my first GM product and I'm off to a bad start.
Thank you

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know how much a Jasper engine is, but I'm sure it's more than $2,400 and I doubt they delete AFM. If it were me, I'd get that 40K-mile engine and delete the AFM (Great time to swap in a performance cam). It should be good for 200K+ miles after that. Don't forget to have it tuned accordingly. Where are you located?

OP
OP
Twindoo

Twindoo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Northern Illinois on the state line, thanks for the help. Any idea what the afm delete will cost

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you capable of doing this work?
Or
Do you have a competent mechanic that you can trust?

Check out tms they have a nice selection of engines at a very reasonable price. Your engine is not complete junk, it has a ton of useable parts that you can reuse. And since you want to delete the DOD, this is the perfect time. I think TMS does not keep it anyway.
Here's a good candidate :) scroll through there shop and see if they have something you like. I know they have a drop in 5.3 and 6.0
http://www.ebay.com/itm/270985176790?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

OP
OP
Twindoo

Twindoo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks I will check it out,, dumb ? What does DOD mean

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Displacement On Demand, when it shuts down 4 cylinders to save on gas.
Not sure about you but when I buy a V8, its because I want a V8 haha.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=displacement+on+demand&*

Here's there list of complete engines, long and short. They are not all Gen IV though, make sure you state what you want if you do inquire. The first link is a Gen IV 6.0 aluminum block, so nice hah.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/Complete-Engines/33615/m.html?item=270985176790&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_ssn=thompsonmotorsportsagogecustoms&_pgn=2&_skc=50&rt=nc

OP
OP
Twindoo

Twindoo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks! Been doing a little more reading tonight about the afm engine. What's the preferred method of deleting afm.? Just get a tuner like the range or black bear or switch out the cam

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't say it's the "preferred" way, but the Range tuner and custom tunes are the EASIEST ways to disable AFM (AKA "DOD")- keyword "disable". To REMOVE AFM, you need to remove the AFM components inside the engine. I'd say that this is the preferred way because it's the components (primarily the lifters) that are prone to failure. Disabling AFM with a tuner keeps the AFM system from activating, but the wonky AFM lifters are still in the engine. Since you'll have an engine outside of the truck, it would be so much easier to have the hard parts swapped out. If you don't do the work yourself, you'd probably be better off finding a local performance shop to do it as they're likely to have done it before. There are companies such as Texas Speed that supply AFM delete kits that include everything that's needed. You can even get a performance cam of your choice to go with the kit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btheboyscout