2007 Yukon XL Denali suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lee Allen

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2007 Yukon XL Denali with air ride leveling. I've been towing with it for years without a problem. I had an 8 x 12 Haulmark Lowhauler and have an 18 foot flatbed. I recently sold the motorcycle trailer and bought a 20' enclosed V-nose to occasionally haul my 72 GTO.

My problem... when I hook up the flatbed or to the 20' trailer and load the GTO, the rear end of the Denali squats a little, even with the torsion bars on the hitch.

I looked into airbags but was told I can't use the air bags with the ride leveling on the Denali.

I've had this truck for years and don't want to replace it. What is an effective & economical way to beef it up to handle the enclosed trailer?

trailered szd.jpg

roccos_van

Reaction score
I have a 2007 Yukon XL Denali with air ride leveling. I've been towing with it for years without a problem. I had an 8 x 12 Haulmark Lowhauler and have an 18 foot flatbed. I recently sold the motorcycle trailer and bought a 20' enclosed V-nose to occasionally haul my 72 GTO.

My problem... when I hook up the flatbed or to the 20' trailer and load the GTO, the rear end of the Denali squats a little, even with the torsion bars on the hitch.

I looked into airbags but was told I can't use the air bags with the ride leveling on the Denali.

I've had this truck for years and don't want to replace it. What is an effective & economical way to beef it up to handle the enclosed trailer?

View attachment 195131
I'm positive Tony *NorcalSS has air bag kits. Text or call him.

Costal_Cat

Reaction score

View attachment 195131

I have a 2012 Denali and have been towing a 29ft Travel Trailer and had the same issue that you are having. I first looked at the airbags in the springs as I had them on my 03' Cruiser. I was also told that these would interfere with the air suspension with the Denali. I'm not sure why, but with that said they only support up to 1,000 lbs.. Also, they are a little hard to install for the avg guy, remove the springs, bore a hole, run air hoses add valves to the bumper or underneath. Knowing all of that I went with these

https://www.etrailer.com/Vehicle-Suspension/GMC/Yukon+XL/2012/TGMRYS4.html?vehicleid=20121013143

Which replace the bump stops and are rated at 6,000 lbs and take no drilling to install. I was able to do this in about 45 mins for both sides. If you look under your truck with the trailer on my bet is that the following occurs

1. Air Shocks Inflate to level out
2. Over the next 10 mins the rear starts to sag

If you look under the rear at this point you will probably see the stock bump stops sitting on the axel.

Here are the Timbrens compared to the stock

20180414_140904.jpg

The stock one only took a slight tug to pull out here is it in the stock location. With a floor jack under the truck and the rear wheel still on the ground.
20180414_140742.jpg

The only tricky thing was using a piece of square metal tubing to press them up into the seats. I inserted this between the axel and the stop and then lowered the truck back down using the weight of the vehicle to press the stop in. See below

20180414_143953.jpg

These now sit only about 1 1/2 in off the axel thus they engage a lot sooner than the stock ones.... This is a picture from in front of the rear wheel so you can see how much beefier they are compared to the stock ones

20180415_190931.jpg

I would start with these you can do it in less than an hour for around $220 shipped.

Costal_Cat

Reaction score
Just noticed this is in the 2015+ section. Might get more traction in the 2007 - 2014 section but I have no idea how to move it...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts