2007 Yukon Denali Build (This got outta hand really quick...)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
67RS427

67RS427

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking forward to see how this thing runs. Great progress. I wish I could have mine down for weeks at a time but since it's my DD the most time I've ever had it down for was 4 days when I had problems installing the Whipple. It's always in my mind that I need to plan for the worst and hope for the best lol. I can't locate a shop that wants to install the cam without pulling the heads (and thus the Whipple) so it looks like I'll do that myself too. It will have to be done in 2 days so I'm planning the best I can! (I do realize it shouldn't take more than a day but I'm not good at this like I was when I was young). So glad to see you've come to the point of starting this beast up after so much hard work. Sometimes it's hard to comprehend why we do this until those moments when we mash the throttle and fly. :favorites37:

The plan wasn't to have the truck down for weeks at a time and this was my DD as well (have a 01 Jeep with no A/C though I'v been driving). It was all for the better in the end however. The transmission rebuild took 2.5 weeks and should have taken 24hrs but what can you do, they guys mother and mother-in-law passed away. Because of the delay with my wrong Y pipes, I decided to do a check of my cylinder heads and as mentioned in my previous post, found the drivers side head was barely torqued and was about to throw a head gasket. The added time to machine my heads and upgrading a few components there was well worth the extra few days took to get parts and install. My other big delay was with my friend/fabricator just busy and up north for most of June. I also did get the blower installed and tuned in about 2 - 3 days, could have been done in a day but I chose not to rush it. I was delayed ANOTHER day yesterday because the transmission was rebuilt, the TECM needed to be reprogrammed. I thought HP Tuners was capable but apparently only a dealer with a special Tech II like device (newer). I found a guy that should be here in the next 2 hours to do it and we should have it running and driving. I will post finish pics and videos, AWD burnouts coming very soon :chewie:

As for your CAM swap, I'm surprised you can't find a shop to do it... They can easily do it without removing the heads. Buy 16 of those pen magnets lol. They also sell a special tool to do it without removing the heads. JPR used to make one, Google: "JPR Cam install tool". Pen magnets work too and are cheap at the auto store. Some people used to just do it and not have issues using nothing but you are taking a risk of one falling. They tray is supposed to hold them up though.

Can someone try to link a photo? I still can't upload anything new...

Last edited:

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm well aware of those ways to install the cam. The JPR tool isn't needed, just a couple 1/4" steel rods sharpened a bit on one end and bent for a handle at the other. Or pen magnets like you said. I guess my little part of the world has ****** shops that only want to do things by the book. And I forgot, but was there a reason you didn't go with Blackbear Performance and an Autocal for tuning? I'm pretty sure they can tune for trans swaps. Pictures are uploading fine in my thread today so maybe something changed on your end?

OP
OP
67RS427

67RS427

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm well aware of those ways to install the cam. The JPR tool isn't needed, just a couple 1/4" steel rods sharpened a bit on one end and bent for a handle at the other. Or pen magnets like you said. I guess my little part of the world has ****** shops that only want to do things by the book. And I forgot, but was there a reason you didn't go with Blackbear Performance and an Autocal for tuning? I'm pretty sure they can tune for trans swaps. Pictures are uploading fine in my thread today so maybe something changed on your end?

I'm using HP Tuners to do my tuning. Pictures are good now, must have been a problem.

OP
OP
67RS427

67RS427

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am still not able to "Link" pictures, just upload them which is different from what I normally do... Very strange... Forum Issues?

OP
OP
67RS427

67RS427

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What website are you trying to link from?
It's a personal website but that has nothing to do with it... I click on the icon while drafting a post and the window doesn't pop up to paste the link. Works on mobile but not my MacBook. Nothing changed, was working yesterday. All the other buttons in the format bar work except the IMAGE link.

**Try it, click the IMAGE button next to the Emoji one and see if a pop up comes up to insert a link. Doesn't work for me...

***Getting ready to fire this thing. Excited but very nervous as well lol

OP
OP
67RS427

67RS427

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HP tuners can write a new vin, but you have to license it first then swap the vin to it
I didn't have that opportunity. The transmission was pulled and rebuilt before I could download the factory tunes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne