2007 Tahoe - Volt Flunctuates - RVC???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RickTahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2007 Tahoe 4 wheel drive. Has worked great. A month ago, the dash lights went out. A new battery was put in and all good. Then I noticed the 'battery' gauge dropped from it usual spot of 14 to about 12. A day later, the car *** dead. No clicks on the battery. Completely dead.

Got it jumped finally and took to repair.

Short story is replaced battery again (bad cell detected), and also the alternator. Still occurs.

I never saw anything below 14 in past years. So I check online and see info about an RVC Regulated Voltage Control.

I have no idea if my vehicle has this RVC...but wonder if this fluctuating gauge is due to an RVC?

And if it is, why would it only be doing it now after all these years?

Have had electrical cluster replaced in dash 4 years ago.

Thoughts?

THANKS

OP
OP
R

RickTahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

Thank you! The link was very helpful.

Question: When I start the engine, it goes to about 15...then drops over 3 minutes to about 13 (as read on gauge). I have driven it for over an hour, with radio and AC going, but it remains at 13. Wouldn't it go up or change a little over time as more 'load' is placed on the vehicle. Is that odd (or dangerous) that it stays at that 13 number regardless of length of time I drive or accessories running?

With battery and alternator new...and with the RVC, it seems it would go up at some point.

One tech at a dealership said it might be a bad negative battery cable, and they added a new 'grounding' strap but still no change from what I describe above. At one time a month ago, they saw a 'code' for loss of amp, but that was cleared with new battery.

I am not tech minded and afraid to drive it into remote areas, and then find it wont start because I drained the battery somehow.

I really do appreciate your thoughts and input. Thanks

STORMIN08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So after owning 4 07 up GM suv's...the current 2013 burb ltz is the first that i uave noticed the gauge drop.

I do semi regular trips totally 2400 miles round trip, not once has the gauge ever moved...now we are 1200 miles from home, and about 200 into the trip i notice this. Wvery thing says its normal, but it doesnt make me feel good about it.

Is there any harm in doing the unplug mod to eliminate ?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2007 Tahoe 4 wheel drive. Has worked great. A month ago, the dash lights went out. A new battery was put in and all good. Then I noticed the 'battery' gauge dropped from it usual spot of 14 to about 12. A day later, the car *** dead. No clicks on the battery. Completely dead.

Got it jumped finally and took to repair.

Short story is replaced battery again (bad cell detected), and also the alternator. Still occurs.

I never saw anything below 14 in past years. So I check online and see info about an RVC Regulated Voltage Control.

I have no idea if my vehicle has this RVC...but wonder if this fluctuating gauge is due to an RVC?

And if it is, why would it only be doing it now after all these years?

Have had electrical cluster replaced in dash 4 years ago.

Thoughts?

THANKS

Thank you! The link was very helpful.

Question: When I start the engine, it goes to about 15...then drops over 3 minutes to about 13 (as read on gauge). I have driven it for over an hour, with radio and AC going, but it remains at 13. Wouldn't it go up or change a little over time as more 'load' is placed on the vehicle. Is that odd (or dangerous) that it stays at that 13 number regardless of length of time I drive or accessories running?

With battery and alternator new...and with the RVC, it seems it would go up at some point.

One tech at a dealership said it might be a bad negative battery cable, and they added a new 'grounding' strap but still no change from what I describe above. At one time a month ago, they saw a 'code' for loss of amp, but that was cleared with new battery.

I am not tech minded and afraid to drive it into remote areas, and then find it wont start because I drained the battery somehow.

I really do appreciate your thoughts and input. Thanks

Are you sure it has never fluctuated before or could it be that you're just now watching it more closely since the recent battery issues?

Higher voltage at startup is normal. Electrical components, especially generators (alternator), operate more efficiently when cooler so their output is higher. The RVC programming doesn't adjust this voltage down for a length of time after startup because it helps the battery to more quickly recover from the draw of starting the engine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willie110hh