2007 GMC yukon Denali trans replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jonathan_furman

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I think I might need a trans swap...
I got p0700 and p2715 codes and the reverse doesn't work sometimes.
I talked to the dealership and they are going to look and see what the issue is but what is a good price for a swap?
Sterership quoted me 3750 for the swap.
Also if I do it myself, do I have to program the transmission the car?

Chetrick87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I paid 1350 for a remanufactured one installed with 1 year warrantt. Includes tourqe converter as well

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
For that price you can get a much stronger trans and internals. I bought a level 4 Gearstar transmission 4L65e transmission with stronger internals and the New Sonex smart drum ($600 for that part alone)
Far as I know, no need to program anything. Just make sure you check and clear any dtc before you try and drive it

OP
OP
jonathan_furman

jonathan_furman

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have the 6l80E trans.... with the 6.2L I was quoted 4200 from GM to replace....

davidl13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there anything you can do to beef up the 6l80?

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
I think I might need a trans swap...
I got p0700 and p2715 codes and the reverse doesn't work sometimes.
I talked to the dealership and they are going to look and see what the issue is but what is a good price for a swap?
Sterership quoted me 3750 for the swap.
Also if I do it myself, do I have to program the transmission the car?

Sometimes the solenoids go out and the transmission wont shift to reverse or the foward gears. You may not need a new transmission, my 2 cents

Several years ago that happened to my wifes SUV, replaced 2 solenoids ($400 bucks later) and the truck was running like new.

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
Is there anything you can do to beef up the 6l80?

Yes there are stronger components that are better the. Stock internals. Sonex makes great parts. It's a matter how much you are looking to spend

67RS427

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just rebuilt my 6L80 that had 150k miles on it. I bought the truck with a slow to engage reverse symptom. It ended up being a cracked drum... I went through PATC and bought pretty much everything in the Level 2 kit. I replaced the upper and lower valve body, installed a new TECM, TIG welded drums and all the Sonnax parts they make (Apply pistons are most important). Cores for torque converters are harder to get now I guess so I sent mine out to be remanufactured... The reman was $175. Originally I was going to do a stock rebuild but I got carried away since I'm installing an LSA blower on Monday and never want to worry about the transmission again.

I spent WAY more on parts than I should have but plan on keeping this truck forever... It cost me $2600 to rebuild my transmission and it should be good for 650rwp. I should add that NONE of this was necessary and there are a lot of guys running stock internals make lots of power. I wanted to be on the safe side with my blower, extra weight and AWD. TUNING is the MOST important part on these transmissions with everything being clutch and solenoid controlled. You can blow up a $6k transmission really easy with a bad tuner. Tune Tune Tune!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmax442