2007 Front axle seal issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TypeRod

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi all, I have a 2007 Tahoe LTZ. It has about 232K miles on it. I've had the front right axle seal replaced about 3 times within a 6-8 month period during the past year. Finally after the 3rd warranty replacement it is no longer leaking. And I recently had the front left axle seal replaced back in May 2017, and it has been leaking since. I just had it replaced again last week, and will monitor it. The shop is a good and honest shop IMO. They have replaced each seal under warranty that has failed. They have checked over just about everything, they checked the seal seating area which is fine, the axles are fine (no burrs or low spots; they measured with a micrometer); the vent hose isnt clogged according to them. The part number they are using is correct, 22761722.

I was just wondering what else could be causing the seals to go bad right away; it has been different technicians performing the work, so I don't think it could be installer error; I don't think that there could be that many bad "new" seals in their inventory; And I can only assume they aren't over filling the front diff after each of these repairs, which from my research can cause a leak.

Any info/suggestions are welcome, TIA!

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do not know if this is the case here but when I used to sell big truck and trailer seals, they were to be put on with an installation tool adapter and not by hand or anything else. The adapter kept the seals shape and prevented deformation as it was pressed into place. If some monkey taps it in with the blade of a screwdriver, well, that's just not the way to do it.

Make sure they're using GM, AC Delco or another reputable brand (National or Federal) and not some ****** junk.

#1taho

5150TAHO
Reaction score
If I went through that many seals I would be looking into the bearings. Seals really don't go like that, that often.

OP
OP
T

TypeRod

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the info and suggestions! They assure me they use only GM OEM seals. I just can't be sure how they are pressing the seals in, since I'm in the waiting room and not in the garage to watch.

Which bearings are you referring to #1taho? Bearings in the front diff? Thanks again!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
16yukon