2005 Tahoe - Brakes / traction control active

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chrmbly

Reaction score
Hello everyone -

Been using the site for a while with my 3 mo old 'new to me' granddad special 2005 tahoe LT I bought with only 85k miles. Put a ton of work into it (mostly wear items) - water pump, belts, brakes, rotors, new rear calipers, and the dreaded air ride shocks on the rear (for autoride). It has the 5.3L. All in all she's running great for the moment. Still have a few issues, which i could use some help on.

1) I have a weird sound that sounds like a quack or a little huff of air - 'meh' is the best way i can describe it, not long after i start it - usually coincides with turning the wheel after pulling out of a space or something. I heard it again the other day while on the road and got the 'traction active' warning with the power getting cut. From what i've been reading I'm thinking speed sensor in the driver side hub? Maybe I'll go and de-rust the area around the sensor?

2) Although the brakes seem fine (new fluid, pads, rotors, and rear calipers which were previously seized) I get what seems to be a vaccum leak when I stomp on the brakes hard when stopped. I get a hissing sound in the cabin and a drop in engine rpm, which almost starts to lug. Then i realized that my 'hoe has the hydroboost brake booster, so I'm at a bit of a loss since it's not a vaccum unit. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

retiredsparky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The turning of the wheel involves the yaw sensor on the steering shaft--if the sensor is malfunctioning, engine power will be cut to allow the vehicle to stop "skidding". Also, the turning of the wheel requires the power steering pump to increase output to maintain pressure. The hissing, meh noise could be the pressure regulator activating. If the pump is loading the engine due to a pump problem such as a binding shaft, etc. the idle will temporarily drop.

Have you thought of finding a similar vehicle and listening to the power steering system for differences, similarities? Even a ½ ton pickup with the hydro boost. Speed sensors on the wheels could be the problem for sure.

Good luck

OP
OP
chrmbly

chrmbly

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I'm going to try the 'abs sensor fix' while i'm getting my wheels repainted next week - remove them and decrud the rust off the hub and see if it helps.

OP
OP
chrmbly

chrmbly

Reaction score
I'll have to see if I can find someone w/ a comparable vehicle - that's a good suggestion as well.

OP
OP
chrmbly

chrmbly

Reaction score
Well took it to the mechanic and they claimed the brakes were in better shape than the vast majority of my vintage of 'Hoe - so I guess that's good. Guess it's just me getting used to driving a truck vs a car! The 'meh' the said was something to do with the IPC resetting? It still does it, but it's not a big deal.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well took it to the mechanic and they claimed the brakes were in better shape than the vast majority of my vintage of 'Hoe - so I guess that's good. Guess it's just me getting used to driving a truck vs a car! The 'meh' the said was something to do with the IPC resetting? It still does it, but it's not a big deal.
IPC??? instrument panel cluster?? wth are they talking about?
these trucks should drive just as good if not better than a car, have you checked your wheels hubs for play?, it sounds to me like you have either a funky sensor in the hub or steering column and/or weak steering pump possibly. the way to really get to the bottom of this is to have a scanner hooked up and see if the problem can be recreated with a live data feed.

OP
OP
chrmbly

chrmbly

Reaction score
Yeah as usual mechanics are not a lot of help for recreating small problems.

I’m going to wirebrush the hubs when my wheels get refinished and see if that helps - love being in the rust belt.

these trucks should drive just as good if not better than a car, have you checked your wheels hubs for play?, it sounds to me like you have either a funky sensor in the hub or steering column and/or weak steering pump possibly. the way to really get to the bottom of this is to have a scanner hooked up and see if the problem can be recreated with a live data feed.

Raxus

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey Chris I have the same ride as you, a '05 Tahoe LT Autoride. I noticed on one of your posts that you replaced the rear air ride. How expensive was it and what did you replace it with? Also since you replaced the autoride are you happy with your choice?

Rax

OP
OP
chrmbly

chrmbly

Reaction score
Hey Chris I have the same ride as you, a '05 Tahoe LT Autoride. I noticed on one of your posts that you replaced the rear air ride. How expensive was it and what did you replace it with? Also since you replaced the autoride are you happy with your choice?

Rax

Hey man.

I had a small shop mechanic (friend of neighbors) replace the rear shocks w/ OEM's, so it's still active. I don't have an issue w/ the bladder or the pump. I think they were $400 a pop. I was looking at Arnott's as well if I was going to go a different route - link. I don't remember the specifics unfortunately since it was all 'back of the paper' type invoice. He did a bunch of work for me - new rear shocks, rotors/pads all around, water pump, rear calipers, couple leaky transmission lines, tune-up and new belts for like $4k. It was a lot, but still cheaper than the stealership, I'd wager. Ended up being more than I thought since he quoted me $2400, but that was just parts. Womp womp.

It looks like Amazon has the same Delco shocks for $251 / ea. link

Chris

Last edited:
OP
OP
chrmbly

chrmbly

Reaction score

Found a good bit of information here about hydroboost brakes (link) - I did their little test and it looks like as far as the brakes go, mine are behaving normally. I get the pedal push back after pumping the brake with the engine off. To get the hissing sound, I really have to plant the brake pedal to the floor so I assume that's not 'normal driving behavior'.

"The hydro-boost will emit normal hissing noises when above-normal brake pedal efforts are applied (40 lbs. and up). The hiss sounds particularly noticeable with the vehicle motionless and will increase in intensity as pedal pressure increases above 40 lbs. and system operating temperature increases. Loud hissing sounds at or below normal (20 to 25 lbs.) pedal effort warrants investigation.

Clunk, clatter or clicking noises will be heard when the brake pedal is quickly released from hard (50 to 100 lbs.) pedal efforts."

That pretty much summed up my experience w/ my brakes, so I think I'm good on that one.

CB

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu