2004 Z71 Tahoe - Weird Electrical Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ryang

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello, new guy here. I have a 2004 Z71 Tahoe... To start off, I was on my way home one evening when I hit a pothole in the road. Everything inside went haywire. Lots of dings, lights, alarm and other things went off and the car died. I attributed all of this to a loose ground wire on the battery. However, after letting the vehicle set with the battery undone, I fastened the wires back and tried to start to no avail. The vehicle would crank, sometimes it would run but sounded like it was running on only 4 cylinders or something. After 2.5 hours of trying, my buddy picked me up with a gooseneck and hauled it home. For laughs I tried starting it when we got home. Low and behold, it ran. It's ran ever since. After this instance, I removed a remote start system also.

Now the current problem - numerous electrical things are going on inside the car. The temperature controller won't adjust right. It may start at 65 degrees and as you turn up the temperature or drop it, it bounces all over the place. The A/C will click hard one time and then start spewing out heat. The only way to remedy this is to shut the car off and wait. The sunroof quit working. Fuse is good. Heated seats try to come on non-stop. I have the elements unplugged but still hear a clicking in the dash when the seats are trying to come on. At one time, it seemed like it had memory issues. Like remembering seat position and things like that.

My question is are all of these things tied together or is each individual component bad? The only DTCs that come up are P0420 and P0430. No idea if this is related or not. I have done an indepth scan with a Snap-On scanner and come up with nothing abnormal. Could this be a bad BCM or ECU? Would the loose battery cable cause issues like what happened when I hit the pothole? I am stumped. Any help is greatly appreciated! Sorry for the length of this post but I like to be as thorough as possible.

cmc76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Id start with checking grounds

OP
OP
R

ryang

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have checked all grounds that I can find or know where they are. All have been cleaned and retightened. There may be some I don't know about. Thanks for the quick reply. Are there grounds behind the dash or anything like that?

cmc76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i honestly dont know where they are all located. Ground seemed to make sense, one large bounce, multiple systems acting up.
maybe check the pigtails again where all the harnesses connect including pcm.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
i honestly dont know where they are all located. Ground seemed to make sense, one large bounce, multiple systems acting up.
maybe check the pigtails again where all the harnesses connect including pcm.
Agree....
Battery cables, starter cables.....every ground....etc

OP
OP
R

ryang

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you all for your replies. I am attributing the crazy issues to the ground wire being loose on the battery when I hit the bump. I'm just curious after tightening the cables on the battery back up, why would some of the issues linger? Also, why would it take so long to start back up? It would run, but it was like it lacked fuel. It would stutter and shake, not rev above 1500 or so RPMs, miss like crazy and would die shortly after this spell. Then all of a sudden when I get it home, it runs like nothing ever happened and has continued to do so ever since. Is this simply failures of individual accessories due to the ground wire on the battery coming loose? I have looked over grounds, removed and cleaned, checked harnesses. I am betting this is something crazy simple, I just haven't found it. I'm having a hard time trusting it to go anywhere outside of town.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne