2004 Tahoe very slow off the line

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Maximus1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sure that this subject has come up a time or two but probably not like mine.
2004 5.3L L59 Flex fuel
Performance upgrades include:
CAI
80mm BBK TB
headers
Electric fan
HP custom tune
MSD coils
1.7 scorpion roller rockers
Howard cam 267/276 duration .525 lift
3.90 gears
Flowmaster exhaust includes flowmaster high flow cats

This Tahoe will run super fast if I hammer down at about 30mph. But off the line it's really not any faster from stock even with all the performance upgrades. I can't even get the tires to break loose when I try to power stall it. I'm kinda of at a loss and a little frustrated. I have a Hughes 2,500 stall that I'm considering installing to remedy this but I'm not 100% sure it will. Is there anything that I'm overlooking that might help fix this issue? Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Assuming your custom tune is good, I'd say it's acting like a 5.3 with such a donkey dick cam would. You're gonna need a more loose converter

OP
OP
Maximus1

Maximus1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree, but even before the cam swap and with all the other upgrades it was still stupidly slow off the line. I was told that when the custom HP tuners tune was installed that the torque management system was deactivated but it didn't matter because the take off was the same. I've also seen other trucks with a very similar upgrades and a stock converter and they take off like a bat outta hell spinning the tires. I'm wondering if maybe there could be a problem with my stock converter? Like a internal crack not allowing the full torque of the engine? I'm just guessing here though. Has anyone else ever heard of the stock converter on a 4L60E going bad or cracking? I haven't but with everything I've done it seems that this may have been the culprit all along?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quite possible. If you have the same or similar mods as others and yours performs considerably less, then there has to be an underlying issue somewhere.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kylesimmons