2004 Tahoe Radio Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ueww40

Reaction score
I am new here and I just bought a 2004 Tahoe LS, which has the original factory single cd/cassette tape radio, no steeringwheel controls and no ONSTAR, but has rear audio controls. It is a Bose System. I would like to replace that unit with a GM approved unit with 6-cd changer and possible aux port. Don't care about the tape part. The important part is upgrading from single cd to 6 cd changer. In my manual there are 3 units shown as options available, one is a plain radio, the next one is what I have now and the 3rd one is the radio with built in 6-cd changer. This is the one I would like to upgrade to. They all have the same footprint and were available as options at time the car was put together. I went to my local Chevy dealer to find out what the correct part number for this radio was and he said it would be impossible for him to tell me that because he plugs in my VIN and he can tell me what's in there now, but not what I would like to put in. There might be a difference in wiring etc, etc. He said the only way that he might be able to help me is if I can find an identical Tahoe to mine which has the 6-cd changer in it and get that VIN number and then he can see what is in that car and chances are it will also work in my Tahoe. And then he said after the radio has been installed it needs to be activated or coded or something like that by Chevrolet. Wow, what did ever happen to the good ol days when you could just yank the old radio out and put another one in? Can anybody shed some light on all of this and hopefully done something like this and can recommend a compatible unit that will fit right in (plug in and play) and have the part number for it. Thanks

jaywoo65

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do an after market double din unit with a PAC OS-2X unit (it will retain the Bose amp and rear entertainment controls). Tons of stereo selections out there. EBay has kits so you won't have to order anything else. Just search 2004 tahoe stereo.

OP
OP
ueww40

ueww40

Reaction score
I would like to stay away from after market devices. Too many adapters and mods are usually necessary to make it work. I would prefer a factory unit, which fits right in. There must be somebody out there that has the same Tahoe as I have, NO steering wheel controls, NO Onstar, NO satellite radio, Bose System, rear audio controls, OEM alarm system, but with a OEM 6 cd changer stereo. I hope to find that person and you can give me the part number to your radio or the VIN and I can have the dealer look it up. Thanks

MCAT069

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are videos on YouTube on how to unlock them without a Tech2.

sefiro

Reaction score
Lazy parts guy. He could drill down through parts diagrams to get to the list of possible. Use your vin to confirm his list of possible.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
ueww40

ueww40

Reaction score
GM # 15196055 or 15184935
Great, now we are getting somewhere? But, here comes the but, what is the difference between the 2 numbers? I understand that all of this is very finicky and has to be just right for it to work. If you know precisely what the difference is between the 2 part numbers, I probably will be able to figure out which one is the right unit. Thanks for all your good advise.

MCAT069

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great, now we are getting somewhere? But, here comes the but, what is the difference between the 2 numbers? I understand that all of this is very finicky and has to be just right for it to work. If you know precisely what the difference is between the 2 part numbers, I probably will be able to figure out which one is the right unit. Thanks for all your good advise.
Those should be interchangeable. The radios get more finicky when you try to combine Bose premium with Bose Luxury.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne

Latest posts