2004 Tahoe LT Front Suspension technical knowledge help needed.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gusthegreek

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello everyone, looking fr some people with experience to guide me here i just bought a 2004 Tahoe LT with 90,000 miles and i am lookind for some advice on what brand of parts to order.

I have to replace all the front end bushings because they are all shot and then do both Cv half shafts while im in there so i dont have to deal with them later because i know i will.

if someone with knowledge can help me i would be very grateful.

Questions

Are the bushings alone hard to change for a backyard mechanic with experience but no access to a shop just a bench vise hammer and chisel and whatever Autozone can loan me or should i just buy the whole control arms upper and lower and just swap them out ?

Is the ball joint replacement a PITA?

Should i spend the extra money buy ac delco control arms and or bushings or is another brand equally trustworthy and safe ?

Should i buy Ac delco Half Cv half shafts or another brand ?

Any and all help and opinions would be greatly appreciated as i am trying to save some money and do the job correctly as i will have kids in the car after i fix it.

Thank you for your help and knowledge.

shreksbrother

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I just replaced everything in my front end over the past few months... All in my garage and all with fairly basic hand tools. It was all fairly straightforward. The biggest pain for me were the lower ball joints, as they were in there pretty darn good! But some monstrous persuasion on my part finally led them to give up the goat.

Normally I am that guy that cheaps out on stuff like this and just buys it all off of eBay for cheap... But I really didn't want to get in there and do it again, so I spent the money for better parts. If the budget allows, spend the money for AC Delco or Moog.

I also replaced my hubs and steering components, and highly recommend doing yours while you'll have everything apart. I didn't replace my half shafts, and hopefully won't come to regret that.

Just be prepared to get filthy, sore, and curse a lot. It is hard work, but my truck rides much better now. Of course I also developed a creaking, which stinks, but I'm going to get under the truck and put a wrench on everything to see if anything has loosened up.

huffster329

Reaction score
I just finished replacing everything suspension/steering wise in my 2001 Tahoe. I used Moog for everything, they have a great warrenty. Check out rockauto.com for some good deals. I went ahead and replaced all 4 control arms, which came with the ball joints already pressed in. I also replaced the camber plates, sway bar links and bushings, idler arm, pitman arm, center link, and hubs. My Tahoe rides great now. Also... Bilstein 5100's!

If you don't already have one... Harbor Freight sells a ball joint kit that works pretty well. I think it's around 80 bucks. Other than that, just basic hand tools are fine.

Take your time, do it right, and don't forget to get an alignment.

Chubbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thats a lot of work rebuilding the CA compared to swapping a new assembly for not much savings. The lower CA are pricey, may be worth rebuild but you need a proper kit for replacing BJ, especially if you have never done it before. You can rent from big box auto parts store, still need Impact driver or breaker bar, 1/2 inch Drive ratchet, etc. I never liked ball joint replacement. Usually ends up being a lot of f*%^* work. Then I have messed up a new unit trying to press it in. Another time I ordered 2 sets of both Up/Lw... did 3 and on the 4th upper, BJ didn't fit as it was manufactured to a completely dif tolerance. Then I spent 2-hrs driving around on Sat afternoon buying that last 1. Just be prepared for all outcomes whichever way you decide.

OP
OP
G

Gusthegreek

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice I will buy the complete control arms and install as a unit, also didn't know about Moog i will check it out, I was surprised how much some Ac Delco parts are.
I want to do it once and be good for another 100K miles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willie110hh