2004 GMC YUKON SLT, 5.3L, AWD - NEUTRAL RED Indicator Light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JochenWoern

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ex-Wife has a 2004 GMC YUKON SLT, 5.3L, AWD (NOT 4x4) with the AWD Shift Buttons as on the attached pic.

At times, the RED NEUTRAL Indicator Light pops on, but there is no affect in the driving characteristics. Drove the truck today and it also shifts fine into and out of 4 LOW.

Stabilitrac shifts on and off as it should as well, message displays on the DIC as it should when the system is turned off.

I read through the manual but am puzzled, not sure what the issue could be?

Is it a switch/the shift button control switch? Is there a sensor somewhere?

Has anyone had this problem, before? Any input would be greatly appreciated, THANKS IN ADVANCE!

Attachments

• Yuk.jpg
    Yuk.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 53

Wake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure its 4WD, not AWD. The AWD transfer case is a single speed setup and not range selectable.

Back to your problem, I have an AWD Escalade so no controls since it's full time AWD. But I have seen this problem on my previous 4WD Trailblazer and it was the switch going bad. It gave false indications of which mode it was in and sometimes failed to switch to 4WD. A new switch corrected the problem.

If it's not that then I might suspect the encoder motor on the transfer case. It should have a feedback sensor to tell the computer which mode it's in.

OP
OP
JochenWoern

JochenWoern

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure its 4WD, not AWD. The AWD transfer case is a single speed setup and not range selectable.

Back to your problem, I have an AWD Escalade so no controls since it's full time AWD. But I have seen this problem on my previous 4WD Trailblazer and it was the switch going bad. It gave false indications of which mode it was in and sometimes failed to switch to 4WD. A new switch corrected the problem.

If it's not that then I might suspect the encoder motor on the transfer case. It should have a feedback sensor to tell the computer which mode it's in.

Thanks very much. I am NOT sure if it is called 4WD or AWD, all I know is that on my 4x4 '06 Yukon, the switch on the left of the steering column shows 2HI, 4HI and 4LOW, as well as the AUTO 4WD on the top, I therefore would assume mine is 4WD, hers is AWD, but again, not sure.

Thanks for the explanation, I will check into the switch assembly and see if this may correct the problem.

Is it fairly simple to change the switch out? Is it all PLUG IN PLAY?

Many thanks.

Matt06Yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats funny, when I bought my current Yukon, they had another one there at the dealer. Same color, almost the same color interior just kinda less creamy white color. But it had that type of transfercase with the weird selections you have. I've never seen another one like it and I was definitely wary of purchasing one. But it didn't matter after I took it for a test drive. Luckily it was nighttime by then and under WOT, I could see smoke in the rearview mirror. Not good. Test drove my current one again to be sure and bought it.

But anyways, only thing I can think of is it is a selectable transfer case, just not Autotrac?

Wake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It should be plug and play, the computer functions are in a separate module (TCCM). The switch is just a dumb switch I'm pretty sure on these. Maybe check a junkyard or eBay for a cheap one. I picked one up for my Trailblazer for about $20 shipped brand new.

78mc-bbc

Reaction score
My 04 Suburban has the same setup as yours is pictured. From my research it is an awd setup, just different than the escalades and denali's. It is 60% rear drive and 40% front drive with a low range option.

The red indicator light problem you mention is a new one for me? I haven't heard of it before? From what i remember my red light is only on when i am in park or neutral, iirc..

OP
OP
JochenWoern

JochenWoern

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 04 Suburban has the same setup as yours is pictured. From my research it is an awd setup, just different than the escalades and denali's. It is 60% rear drive and 40% front drive with a low range option.

The red indicator light problem you mention is a new one for me? I haven't heard of it before? From what i remember my red light is only on when i am in park or neutral, iirc..

Thanks everyone.

I will see if a new switch assembly will cure the problem.

highrollin113

Undercover
Reaction score
i have the same awd that you do and have had the red light issue, but being as it does not change the way it drives i have not given it too much thought. i have seen it red and change to yellow while i am driving so i figure it is just a faulty signal. try turning the traction control off then on when it goes red and see if it changes it.

OP
OP
JochenWoern

JochenWoern

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have the same awd that you do and have had the red light issue, but being as it does not change the way it drives i have not given it too much thought. i have seen it red and change to yellow while i am driving so i figure it is just a faulty signal. try turning the traction control off then on when it goes red and see if it changes it.

Tried that and no change.

Littleyuki

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Did you ever find a solution? Mine does the same thing randomly comes on. Does not seem to affect driving. Usually happens on freeway. Also noticed at stop lights at times it thinks it's slipping and I can hear/feel it engages traction control( on a hot 90 degree dry day). If I let off the gas for a second it stops.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu