2004 Casper Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you every steel yourself to check your mpg, I'd be interested in knowing it as well. I'm getting about 10.5 to 10.8 in mixed, mostly rush-hour driving.

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you every steel yourself to check your mpg, I'd be interested in knowing it as well. I'm getting about 10.5 to 10.8 in mixed, mostly rush-hour driving.
What's your setup? I'm getting the same mileage..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's your setup? I'm getting the same mileage..

Bone ass stock: 2005 Suburban 2500, 4 wheel drive and 4 wheel steer. 6.0 with 4.10s. Tires are 275/65R16.

As an aside, I have 2 broken studs resulting in a cold engine exhaust leak, and 4LO is giving me fits at the moment. :mad:

The wife's Tahoe just got 16.7, but I think it will do better once I at least CLEAN the MAF, though it probably needs to be replaced. It's about to hit 200k, too.

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bone ass stock: 2005 Suburban 2500, 4 wheel drive and 4 wheel steer. 6.0 with 4.10s. Tires are 275/65R16.

As an aside, I have 2 broken studs resulting in a cold engine exhaust leak, and 4LO is giving me fits at the moment. :mad:

The wife's Tahoe just got 16.7, but I think it will do better once I at least CLEAN the MAF, though it probably needs to be replaced. It's about to hit 200k, too.

Oh ok. I thought u had similar mods to the OP. those 2500 are heavy SOBS haha. I have the 2500 driveline in my tahoe but with a 3k stall converter, 3.42 gears (4.11 soon)and 295/35/24 tires. A bad combo for stop and go traffic, but I have an aftermarket cam and full exhaust so it can pull the gear no problem..just my in town mileage sucks..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Casper 2004 Tahoe

Casper 2004 Tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If you are in contact with the trans builder then you are halfway there. My trans is running my stock pressure and is completely stock minus the shift kit and pump mods. It's butter smooth at part throttle, better than my 4l60. Once I get into it the shifts are nice and tight, but not harsh. Torque management is making it fall on its face between shifts. A waste of time in an 80e. I don't have any and there is no delayed shifting.

I have never opened a transmission before and did all the mods myself. The shift firmness is controlled by holes in the valve body plate. There are specific sizes to drill to get different results..my drill sizes
1-2nd gear -.110
2-3rd gear- no check ball
4-4th gear-. 125

You can literally tailor it to shift how you like. These figures are from one of the top 80e builders in the country so I trusted him and used them. Worked out great.

Turning up the pump pressure may cause more problems and may explain why you have firm shifts at part throttle. I think they are trying to get more holding capacity with the clutches, but I don't think that's the right way to do it.

My truck is much quicker with the 80e than it was with the 60. It doesn't lose any momentum between shifts and just runs thru the gears. A little adjusting and I'm sure you'll be down in the 12s.

Sweet, thanks for the input. I got some reading to do, but am confident I can get it sorted. Right now, the first to second shift at part throttle actually lays me in the seat and pulls my foot off the throttle some lol.

I made more runs this weekend in more suitable temperatures, the track was so busy, I only got 2. 13.5 @ 100 first run, 13.4 @ 101 for the second. both 60ft times were around 1.95, that impressed me more with the all season tires I have on there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts