2002 Chevy Tahoe 5.3 Muffler Rust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zygocrybiate

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I bought this truck in 2013, and in 2014 put an aftermarket Summit Racing Muffler on. That muffler rusted off at the input pipe coming from the cats. I have since had 3 more mufflers put on (local shops Brand and a flowmaster super 44). The super 44 I had put on last summer, and right where the input pipe flanges out to the front of the muffler it rusted off. I have had 4 mufflers fall off this way in as many years. Has any one else had this issue, and does anyone know if its a truck, installation or manufacturer issue? Its fun having open headers sometimes but constantly having to put new mufflers on is getting old and expensive. Thanks!

Sasquatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a flowmaster catback exhaust on my yukon that lasted about two years before rusting to pieces so before i wasted more money on mild steel parts i had a custom stainless steel exhaust installed. I think that was three years ago and there`s no rust at all. Spend a little more money for a SS muffler and you`ll be all set.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you let it idle alot or do short trips that'll build up condensation and and rust shit out fast. :2cents:

OP
OP
Zygocrybiate

Zygocrybiate

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
No, my average drive is 45-60 minutes long, mostly highway. I do live in Vermont, but its still seems too fast.

Sasquatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I`m over in harriman ny. Orange county, where they put down an inch of salt for every inch of snow that falls. That`s the reason my yukon stays in the garage and i steal my girlfriends car when it snows.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I`m over in harriman ny. Orange county, where they put down an inch of salt for every inch of snow that falls. That`s the reason my yukon stays in the garage and i steal my girlfriends car when it snows.
X2.....love the salt and how it makes my black truck look white....:nolol:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts