2001 suburban 5.3 can oil pump drain out?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wbzautocustomiz

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2001 Suburban 5.3 1500 4WD 225,000 miles so truck sat parked on a small incline nose facing downhill for about 3 weeks then when I started the truck and a real bad knocking sound as if no oil the gauge does show good pressure. Shut it off checked all fluids was good but still a real bad knocking sound shut off til I can find more info. Truck ran fine before I parked it and I am asking is it possible for the oil pump to drain itself from the way it sat? And if it could have is there a way to prime the oil pump back up without a big deal? Or any suggestions where to start?

Maximus1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
More than likely it's a lifter tap instead of a knock. If it wasn't knocking when you parked it, it shouldn't be knocking now. After sitting for so long the hydraulic lifters drained all the oil out of them and it takes a few minutes to get them pumped back up. Just start it and let it idle for a few minutes. As long as you have oil pressure you'll be fine.

Matahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a horrible racket from the starter pinion sticking after letting my tahoe sit for two weeks. Old original starter with sticking solenoid or shift fork more than likely.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dvnt