2000 Tahoe Transmission fluid - Should I change it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jaywoo65

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWIW, my last work van was a 99 Astro AWD. It had the same 4L60E transmission in it. It never did have a transmission flush or fluid change and lasted 252,000 miles when I sold it.

*Disclaimer: Your experience may vary. :)

Matahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A transmission flush isn't what some make it out to be. And it will not in itself kill a transmission. I payed about $120 each service to have all of my last four vehicles done. I figured that if I was going to spend $80+ for the Dexron VI fluid then I might as well have someone else do it. The only thing a flush doesn't give you is a new filter but then again those aren't made like oil filters either. They only protect against large particles. If you got a clogged up tranny filter then you got bigger problems. Also, if you are changing your transmission fluid to try and solve some issues related to the trans then just realize it's probably already too late. The only thing new fluid will do is quicken its demise.

Last edited:

latvius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did the same as post #7 on both my Tahoe (150K) and my Yukon Denali (100K), transmissions shift better to me. I think I had to disconnect the front drive shaft to get to the shifter linkage to remove it to get to the pan bolts but nothing with the exhaust.

OP
OP
D

dman76

Reaction score
That's a good point. Well, now I am not sure what to do. There are no issues that I know of as it still seems to shift fine and act normal to me. I think I am a lot easier on vehicles than a lot of people. If gunning the engine all the time and constantly having it shift back and forth is ******* the transmission, then I am the opposite of that. If I am going up a good size hill, I always downshift it into 3 so avoid it shifting back and forth. Hell, going down a hill I do the same so I am not riding the brakes. I have only replaced the rear brakes twice in 140,000 miles (once at 65k and once last year) and still has the original front pads on it so I am pretty easy on it! If it is as easy as just removing the pan, that is simple enough, but I see some videos about removing the drive shaft or removing some exhaust bolts, and that worries me a little bit about bolts breaking or not being able to get them off. I am wondering if I should even bother with this or if I should see how much a shop would charge (especially if the fluid and filter is going to cost me a bunch anyways).

A transmission flush isn't what some make it out to be. And it will not in itself kill a transmission. I payed about $120 each service to have all of my last four vehicles done. I figured that if I was going to spend $80+ for the Dexron VI fluid then I might as well have someone else do it. The only thing a flush doesn't give you is a new filter but then again those aren't made like oil filters either. They only protect against large particles. If you got a clogged up tranny filter then you got bigger problems. Also, if you are changing your transmission fluid to try and solve some issues related to the trans then just realize it's probably already too late. The only thing new fluid will do is quicken its demise.

latvius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know what a shop would do to "flush" the fluid (never seen it done) but the process I did was to pump the fluid out of the transmission a couple gallons at a time, then refill until the fluid comes out red instead of purple. If you just get the fluid changed it's only the fluid in the pan along with changing the filter.
Doing it was not a big deal and I got to choose the fluid/filter I wanted and the satisfaction of knowing it was actually done and done correctly. Disconecting the driveshaft was no problem, you're not going to break any bolts and if you do then it's a good thing you found it instead of breaking down the road. Neither my 2005 Tahoe or 2005 Yukon needed anything with the exhaust. I think the Yukon was a tighter fit of the pan/exhaust pipe but I did not have to loosen any exhaust bolts.
If the fluid and filter were not meant to be changed why didn't they make the transmission sealed?

5 of ACDelco 10-9030 Dexron VI Automatic Transmission Fluid - 1 gal
Sold by: Amazon.com LLC
$23.12
4 of ACDelco 10-9030 Dexron VI Automatic Transmission Fluid - 1 gal
$23.12
2 of ACDelco 24208576 Professional Automatic Transmission Fluid Filter Kit
$27.58

Total for two vehicles
TOTAL
$293.67

That was 2015, wow the prices for the fluid have almost doubled!:(.

OP
OP
D

dman76

Reaction score
Ok, I guess I am easily convinced. I will go under there later and see what it looks like and what might be in the way. You are right about knowing it is done correctly if you do it yourself. I remember my dad having his truck's changed by the dealer once a long time ago and he had to bring it back twice because it kept leaking at the pan.

OP
OP
D

dman76

Reaction score
I used to always change my own oil mostly because I didn't trust the shop to not make a mess. They aren't going to put a towel over the driveline or wherever else oil will drip to keep it from becoming a mess. Then I started having the dealer do it for a few years because it was almost cheaper than to do it myself. I did it myself this last time because and I needed a breaker bar to get the oil plug off because the dealer put it on so tight. No more dealer!!

latvius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah on the cheaper thing, you have to be fair and compare apples to apples, what kind of filter do they use and what kind of oil? Plus do you even believe them, maybe they ran out of the synthtic you paid for an put it what they had :)
I can buy my oil from costco when it's on sale and I bought a case of filters from rockauto in a closeout sale. Plus my labor is free (sort of). Like you said the last time i went to a jiffy lube the filter was on so tight I had to use multiple filter wrenches to get it off, that and the guy told me my antifreeze was really old an rusty. I had the radiator flushed 6 months prior and they used the red fluid (hence the rusty part). :bawl:

OP
OP
D

dman76

Reaction score
Great point. They aren't using the good stuff so it's not really cheaper. I guess I liked just having them do the vehicle inspection and checking all that other stuff and just telling me what I should get done. Even checking the brakes is nice so I don't have to jack it up and pull all the wheels off since that is time consuming without a lift. I was going to start another thread about this, regarding what most people check on their own, etc.

Yeah on the cheaper thing, you have to be fair and compare apples to apples, what kind of filter do they use and what kind of oil? Plus do you even believe them, maybe they ran out of the synthtic you paid for an put it what they had :)
I can buy my oil from costco when it's on sale and I bought a case of filters from rockauto in a closeout sale. Plus my labor is free (sort of). Like you said the last time i went to a jiffy lube the filter was on so tight I had to use multiple filter wrenches to get it off, that and the guy told me my antifreeze was really old an rusty. I had the radiator flushed 6 months prior and they used the red fluid (hence the rusty part). :bawl:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kylesimmons