2 Included maintenance visits - did you use them and how did it go?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigVette427

Reaction score
I changed the oil in my '17 Yukon myself at about 2,900 miles as I wanted to get in some M1 0w-20 Annual Protection and a M1 EP filter. M1 has some great rebates right now and I wanted the best protection I could get for my 6.2L since iIm not entirely thrilled of the 0w-20 requirement by GM. (Corvette is going from 5w-30 to 0w-40 on the same motor.)

My folks used to have a '97 Tahoe LT 4x4 Z71 and I remember the oil filter was right above the front drive shaft and used to leak oil all down onto it, it was a mess. My new Yukon was a piece of cake, easy as pie to change oil and the filter. I have a set of Race Ramps and I just drive the Yukon up on it since the GM running boards prohibit me from sliding under from the side. Still, all in all, don't be intimidated with changing oil in a late model Tahoe or Yukon, the dealer can keep their cheap oil/filter and I will rest easy knowing it's done right, and filled correctly.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I changed the oil in my '17 Yukon myself at about 2,900 miles as I wanted to get in some M1 0w-20 Annual Protection and a M1 EP filter. M1 has some great rebates right now and I wanted the best protection I could get for my 6.2L since im not entirely thrilled of the 0w-20 requirement by GM. (Corvette is going from 5w-30 to 0w-40 on the same motor.)

Been using M1 0W20 EP since 4K miles..I now have 30K miles and the 0W20 holds up very well for my 5K miles changes.The oil is still almost full at 5K miles and has the slightly dark amber look..I figured with Direct Injection the oil would look a lot worse..My 5.3 is super quiet..I do tons of gridlock plus highway in jungle heat..I use only AC Delco Filters.

I do not feel comfortable stretching oil changes with the M1 Annual Protection..It would keep me awake at night.

But that is just me..To each their own.

Thanks for the heads up on the M1 rebates right now.

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update to this thread -

Brought in the 'burban for the 22K miles (second of two) complementary service. Asked them to also check the rpm surging and a dead CD player. They checked out the player and changed the oil and nothing else. 3 hours. Manager came out to the waiting room and flat lied to me that they had cleaned the throttle plate to address the surge. Claimed they needed to let everything dry out and then I'd be on my way.

They had to order a replacement media head for the dead CD player so I'll be back for that. It is okay I guess. Don't like being lied to or seeing that they did this massive muli-point check and knowing they blew it off.

Are you saying they didn’t clean the throttle plate or what? What was the lie?

BigVette427

Reaction score
Been using M1 0W20 EP since 4K miles..I now have 30K miles and the 0W20 holds up very well for my 5K miles changes.The oil is still almost full at 5K miles and has the slightly dark amber look..I figured with Direct Injection the oil would look a lot worse..My 5.3 is super quiet..I do tons of gridlock plus highway in jungle heat..I use only AC Delco Filters.

I do not feel comfortable stretching oil changes with the M1 Annual Protection..It would keep me awake at night.

But that is just me..To each their own.

Thanks for the heads up on the M1 rebates right now.
Personally I think it's a missed opportunity for M1 in the way they market their new Annual Protection. I have no intention of letting my OCI go 20,000 miles, let alone 15k or even 10k. I'll go by what the vehicle oil life monitor tells me, and more than likely not even get to 7,500 miles.

While a lot of the details in the formulas are proprietary, what I believe that I have learned is that the AP is a superior oil than the EP, which is better than the regular blend. Is the only difference just in how long the oil will last? I don't think so, and for me in this vehicle, with this high-performance of a motor, I'm willing to spend a little more on a good motor oil. Amsoil is great I am sure, but not as convenient as Wal-Mart. At $50 a five quart jug, when they still sell the regular blend and EP for about half of that, I wasn't willing to bite. At $40 with a $17 rebate if you bought a M1 EP oil filter for $8, I was willing to pull that trigger.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willie110hh