2" front lift on Z71 w/ keys only?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a 2001 Z71 tahoe. There's no end to the repairs it needs, I think was ran hard for it's 220k miles. The issue is driver side shock. It ripped off while going (slowly be it) on a mountain pass / forest road.

I have always questioned the way the previous owner did the lift. He lifted the front of the truck 2 inches to make even with the rear. Not sure that is a good idea to lift at all, but I guess it looks nice?

All he did when he lifted it was put the keys on the torsion bar. He didn't extend the shock mounts or replace the shocks with longer travel ones. I think this is the underlying issue. The bounce took the shock to it's limit and ripped the upper retainer off along with the bushings. Then the shock was beat up rattling around in the wheel well. Suffice to say the least, the shock is trashed, but I think I can do without it for a while.

Curious should I remove these lift keys. He gave me the originals torsion keys. I'm assuming will be nothing but problematic unless rest of suspension is adjusted to accommodate the lift. I also see that the tie rods & axles for the front are at harsher angles and wondering if that will cause issue with them.

Thanks!

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
I bought a 2001 Z71 tahoe. There's no end to the repairs it needs, I think was ran hard for it's 220k miles. The issue is driver side shock. It ripped off while going (slowly be it) on a mountain pass / forest road.

I have always questioned the way the previous owner did the lift. He lifted the front of the truck 2 inches to make even with the rear. Not sure that is a good idea to lift at all, but I guess it looks nice?

All he did when he lifted it was put the keys on the torsion bar. He didn't extend the shock mounts or replace the shocks with longer travel ones. I think this is the underlying issue. The bounce took the shock to it's limit and ripped the upper retainer off along with the bushings. Then the shock was beat up rattling around in the wheel well. Suffice to say the least, the shock is trashed, but I think I can do without it for a while.

Curious should I remove these lift keys. He gave me the originals torsion keys. I'm assuming will be nothing but problematic unless rest of suspension is adjusted to accommodate the lift. I also see that the tie rods & axles for the front are at harsher angles and wondering if that will cause issue with them.

Thanks!

Sounds to me like you're just dealing with worn out parts. Leveling the front with just keys is common practice and shouldn't result in any Ill effects. Now, all trucks geometries are a little different, so can you post a pic of your angles? You can't go bananas, but 2" to just level the front should be fine.

Chubbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Leave the torsion bar keys as is. Install a set of longer shocks (bilstein adjustables) or 2" shock extensions with a $50 set of Monroes standard length

OR, replace with standard shocks and the torsion bar keys can be relaxed by loosening the adjustment bolts a few turns.

Shocks are cheap, and highly essential. No need to do without. Remove & replace of the shocks will take about an hour total for both sides. This is an easy fix.

If you do decide to go with standard length shocks and
1) lower the front aftermarket keys
2) replace the a/m TB keys with the originals
a wheel alignment will be necessary, so you have that to take in account.

You would also need a couple of goods jacks and/or stands. A GM torsion-bar clamp

You have options here, this is all within your control. Inspect the rear springs & shocks. Look for a spacer underneath the springs. Crawl underneath and look over the driveline for major leaks or any other damage that may need immediate attention. Posting pictures will aid others in their suggestions & opinions.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Chubbs: I got the wrecked shock off. Only took a few minutes was very simple. Is there a shock that can can accommodate the factory height and a 2" lift without any spacers? Curious if I decide to revert I don't have to hassle with anything other than the torsion key then.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Thanks Chubbs: I got the wrecked shock off. Only took a few minutes was very simple. Is there a shock that can can accommodate the factory height and a 2" lift without any spacers? Curious if I decide to revert I don't have to hassle with anything other than the torsion key then.

Bilstein 5100.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bilstein 5100.

The beat up shock I pulled off is a 37178ST monroe shock. I am pretty sure not original equipment. When I looked at opposite side (the one that didn't fall off) I noticed something odd. The idiot who installed them put the top shock retainer upside down! Instead of cupping the bushing it cuts into it. My guess is they did the same on the other side that came apart.

I also noticed the shock was restricting travel. The shock bottoms out when I jack the truck up, meaning big bumps were jerking that retainer even harder through the bushing.

I went ahead and ordered the 5100 bilsteins :) I think bilstein was original equipment on the z71?

Thanks much for the help! I'm discovering all kinds of quirky things the former owners did to this poor truck :( But I got it for cheap more or less.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Bilstein shocks came in. Out of box appear to be exceptional quality, although not sure I like the boots they come with. The lifetime warranty is also reassuring.

However, the instruction show lots of diagrams for installing shock, bushings, and retainers into the top mount. Seems they show about every way conceivable to install the bushings in reference to a type code printed on the shock. I cannot find this type code anywhere on the old shock or the new one. Anyone have experience with this?

I installed them then discovered those silly diagrams. I installed the retainers cupping the bushings with the cup facing the shock braket on the frame. Made since to me, but these diagrams are throwing me for a curve. Here's a video showing my install:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xfwWLQya1N0gd40tVaDpyygwjOGcuFd4/view?usp=sharing

FYI ~ The old shocks top retainer was installed as a V going down into the bushing. I think this is why it failed... I believe the nut eventually cut through the retainer in that orientation. but bilstein instructions show this as a feasible orientation?

CamReynolds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Bilstein shocks came in. Out of box appear to be exceptional quality, although not sure I like the boots they come with. The lifetime warranty is also reassuring.

However, the instruction show lots of diagrams for installing shock, bushings, and retainers into the top mount. Seems they show about every way conceivable to install the bushings in reference to a type code printed on the shock. I cannot find this type code anywhere on the old shock or the new one. Anyone have experience with this?

I installed them then discovered those silly diagrams. I installed the retainers cupping the bushings with the cup facing the shock braket on the frame. Made since to me, but these diagrams are throwing me for a curve. Here's a video showing my install:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xfwWLQya1N0gd40tVaDpyygwjOGcuFd4/view?usp=sharing

FYI ~ The old shocks top retainer was installed as a V going down into the bushing. I think this is why it failed... I believe the nut eventually cut through the retainer in that orientation. but bilstein instructions show this as a feasible orientation?
can we see your cv angles?

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd be happy to but this is a PITA to post pictures to. I'll post them when I have more time. Curious what does the CV angles have to do with the upper mount retainer orientation?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
llujum