1999 Yukon dies on hills

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ford141

Reaction score
I really need some help with my 99 Yukon. My in-laws gave this to me 3 years ago with 228k miles, I've ran it up to 253k. Original motor, but trans was replaced.

The whole time I've had it I've experienced a problem with it dying at the top of a very long hill. If I have to pull a hill any longer than about 1/4 mile, it will start missing and shaking and will unlock the torque converter. The only code that shows up is a random misfire. I've replaced fuel pump (3 times), plugs, wires, complete distributor, tps, and upgraded to the better injector unit. But the problem continues. About 2 months ago I replaced the crank sensor, which seemed to solve the problem for a few weeks, but it came back.

I'm at my wits end with it. I love this truck and I can't afford another right now, so I have to rely on it. But I'm in pa and it's hilly here, and long hills will kill it. If I let off the gas it will come back after a few seconds.

I've monitored fuel pressure while driving and it stays consistent even when the misfire starts.

No catalytic converters, so the rear oxygen sensor throws a code all the time, but it did it before the cats were gone too.

Please help!

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I had a somewhat similar problem, turned out to be the inline fuel filter. Was the original with over 200,000 miles on it. Going up hills it would die. Changed it and the problem went away. I'm not saying it's your problem, but it's somewhere to start.

RED TAHOE LS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Times 3 on the fuel filter as mentioned by Tonyrodz and Hambone. I would go a step further and check the fuel line (metal) as well as any flex or rubber hoses. JMHO and good luck.
David g.

OP
OP
ford141

ford141

Reaction score
The inline fuel filter was replaced when I replaced the fuel pump, along with all of the fuel lines, hard and soft (they were rusty). As I said, I've monitored fuel pressure at the rail while driving, and it stays consistent even when it starts missing and dying.

I've had other people suggest the timing chain is worn out enough to throw the cam and crank sensors out of sync. This is a possibility. I was so frustrated with this thing that I went out and bought a replacement. I picked up a clean 1994 full size Blazer with 167K on it for $2000. Very happy with it so far. It's so nice to be able to pull a hill without your vehicle dying.

r6JeQITp5c3lJvJg4yGA2SYNtwgiGEm0JC0HisvHjc3zF7xmMdbPenV8RM0ZNPI3ejTNLJiUfM7Cg8v6WWHQSUFTFhIs1gPwUXUicrEkWoJEGP0ikkDc69c0NZk8VTiblSvP92fhHAVbUgPed12ZRnOV7kkkTJ3hQXiUJKV_IFPOA2tS56jxR3kKDsnEbEL3-MG6ctumYlJ3w2ZRvIapQrDgE32TtPLXgbZ3C_h6WrA9MTB96fBari5O3_YBEMZMfmNwuE2uAACkuaEKKwizTRlkOWUB3Ug5M0vk6RxeXz3rfOi2S4dZHR3bAUBqT5LlnviGbM2FUFplHCj82ZalP2pgwj9uvc7iS56_OYWvcUwY5gt53PwUT7PKrvY7K9M3ypq7pX_v7erJ-gmjRVt8mjK8PapIC5HVvDG4PDfgqNPZxUbCGmxtLCW4I2KXPa2xwriWyXtGaSv0J7ZZL7c0xyl_OorvwiNFSAMwdjWk1RX-ebDNA32rdDfAjG6I-ycw6LHw8wmeL86XUbYB5lUeTIqFaThI2UXaAdZObCiLK4Xve7_F5I1PTYEMWfBnX788yECNEfdSWJafPICGOHFEtUghfmFT9J1Vz1AMEj1Dg9d_V4CNkkOj=w1154-h866-no

Last edited: