1999 Tahoe Fuel Gauge

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RAWVORTEC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I ran out of gas last night while my gauge was still reading 1/4 tank. Like everyone has experienced, the fuel gauge has given me crap for years now. I think it has stopped working. I couldn't find a repair service on ebay like I did for my wifes 03 yukon. What can be done? Is it the stepper motor that is bad? Is it the fuel pump? After 20+years of this vehicle being out, there has to be a solution!

04SS99Denali

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IIRC its the sending unit but don't quote me on it. its definitely not the fuel pump

Kenny D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did it vibrate like crazy at any point in time? My 99 burb gas gauge would vibrate and jump around constantly. I never knew how much gas was actually in there. I filled it up every friday and learned that just my weekly commute would leave me about a half a tank.

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would guess it's the sending unit which is with the fuel pump. A lot of people just go by the trip odometer and wait until the fuel pump goes out to address the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

04SS99Denali

Full Access Member
Reaction score
for real? lol i would have never guessed the sensor was inside the pump. good to know my gauge is doing a slight vibration but not the full on dance yet

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
for real? lol i would have never guessed the sensor was inside the pump. good to know my gauge is doing a slight vibration but not the full on dance yet
Most pumps are in tank now and since thats whete the sending unit is they incorporated it all together....you check grounds? sometimes a faulty ground can make f'ed up readings on gas gauge or a no work situation....especially on older stuff. May be worth a shot

RicanGM

Full Access Member
Reaction score

o_fatmike_o

Reaction score
my 99 esky is having the same issue , most of my research shows sending unit in the tank , but i did find alot of people who ended up replacing the gauge or cluster , and then of course a very small amount of bad connection in the harness under the vehicle . if your just gonna guess i would start with the sending unit , which is probably where ill start . correct way would be to pull out the multi meter and start tracing wires . what a headache lol . for now i just refill every 225 miles. which usually only takes about 10 gal to fill back up .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts