1999 Chevy Tahoe Engine swap California

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jays99

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Current 5.7 vortec died recently, time to swap the motor with a fresh GM Create or a reputable builder in the Bay Area or even around Sacramento or anywhere in between. I'd really like to upgrade to a 383 but still need be able to pass CA smog laws. Does anyone know if this is possible. I met a guy once that said he did this but I don't have his contact info for details.

If anyone has any details they can pass it would be much appreciated. I see the HT383E crate engine, I know the ECU's will need to be flashed but can this still be smogged?

Thanks for the help...

Last edited:

th3 shifty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you'll need to retain all your current smog equipment, and maintain the same emissions output as the 5.7.. it can be done, i know several people in CA that have 383's in their TPI camaro's and pass the sniffer. You need someone to do a good tune on it.

the 383 and the 350 use the same block so you wont have to worry about the visual, you'll need to keep all the same intake manifold and other stock stuff if you want to pass in CA, which may strangle the 383 on power, so weigh your options on that or just redoing the 5.7

Kirth Gersen

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Calif CARB (California Air Resources Board) is a miserable, over-reaching bunch of tyrants. I would research this very carefully. Even if you pass the "sniffer" test on dyno, if some sharp-eyed smog tech notices you have substituted a non-OEM engine, then CARB is notified & you're possibly screwed.
Years ago I contacted tech support at my Local Air District, and a guy was actually quite helpful in explaining their complex rules to me. Don't know if phone support is available anymore.
Here's a list of the local districts: https://www.arb.ca.gov/capcoa/roster.htm

OP
OP
J

jays99

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks all... I just ended up replacing the stock one but just did the 4 bolt main. All is good

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Austinsham