1999 chevy 5.7 no start condition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
After months of sitting it could easily be a discharged or bad battery. Sitting that long connected and without charging, the parasitic drain could kill a cell or two.

Remove it, charge it with a good charger, and take it to have load tested. If you're still running the top-post battery then it's time to get the right side-post one.

OP
OP
T

Tenthjester65

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
There has been no battery in it i unhook them when im not doing anything with it

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
T

Tenthjester65

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sorry everyone i have been really slacking. I was out of town for work last week and busy the weekend. Ill get there

willxfs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would check the voltage at the starter. The large red wire is the positive. The starter grounds thru the engine block and frame so you wont see a big black (ground) wire going to the starter. Take the proper precautions, (put in park, emergency brake on and so on) and climb under truck with your volt meter. Have someone try to start the truck while probing the red wire and the metal frame of the starter. It sounds as if your not getting 12+ volts to the starter. I would also check the static voltage of the battery at rest and when someone is attempting to start the truck. A good battery with good connections shouldn't drop more than a couple of volts when cranking the engine. Good luck.

OP
OP
T

Tenthjester65

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I will try this as soon as i get a chance i have had no time. Wife has had me regoing garden and painting . getting ready for our party we throw on the 4th and my nieces party on the first.
I would check the voltage at the starter. The large red wire is the positive. The starter grounds thru the engine block and frame so you wont see a big black (ground) wire going to the starter. Take the proper precautions, (put in park, emergency brake on and so on) and climb under truck with your volt meter. Have someone try to start the truck while probing the red wire and the metal frame of the starter. It sounds as if your not getting 12+ volts to the starter. I would also check the static voltage of the battery at rest and when someone is attempting to start the truck. A good battery with good connections shouldn't drop more than a couple of volts when cranking the engine. Good luck.

OP
OP
T

Tenthjester65

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Still have not had time to do anything yet. Long story short sister did not know she was prego so have to help buying baby stuff and baby sick in nicu.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts