1999 chevy 5.7 no start condition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tenthjester65

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello everyone . This is my first post here. My wife and i just inherited her sisters 99 tahoe 5.7. She had an issue with it before her passing no start. Found a fuel issue. Changed pump . Started right up. Than she called again no start. Narrowed it to the starter. Changed it never atarted since. Has new plugs and wire. Im not sure where to start. They put on these sise post to top post converts which i believe may be part of the problem as when i moved the posts around before it use to get power . Also i believe the little fuse 175 thing. By the fan shroud may be bad as bothing kicks on inless you give positive. Charge to the computer side of the little fuse. Help please

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do the accessories turn on when you turn the key...Dash lights, radio, etc.

Does it crank (turn over) when trying to start?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
T

Tenthjester65

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
They use to yes .. But as of last time i messed with it a few months ago. No.

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
See if the headlights come on. If so, then it's an ignition/starter issue. If not, then it's a dead battery or bad connections/cables.

Danny3737

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had one, but can't remember if it had a fusible link or not

OP
OP
T

Tenthjester65

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
See if the headlights come on. If so, then it's an ignition/starter issue. If not, then it's a dead battery or bad connections/cables.

Dead batt,connection,cables must be it thats where i will start

OP
OP
T

Tenthjester65

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Okay update last night i changed the studed fuse and now i get power to dash and everything but with the charger on start all i get is super rapid click. Unhooked charger shows 12v on dash and all i get is one click loose all dash lights and all. So now im charging bat which i think is fully charged or close.

OP
OP
T

Tenthjester65

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Okay update full charged battery hook it up turn key got all lights bright, radio light inside and out . Go to turn it over one nice solid click and thats it.im so lost someone help me threw what to do next i think next is gonna be battery cables and connections what does everyone think on this

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the battery charged, check the battery and ground cables, see if they're making good contact and corrosion free.

A load test on the battery probably wouldn't hurt, though.

One of the grounds is on the inner fender by the battery, the other is down below the belt tensioner.

If it still has the side post battery the positive would have the two cables connected via the bolt. There is a spacer/washer in between the two cables that sometimes gets worn down and loose. The two positive cables should be able to be tightened and not move.

Here is a website covering step-by-step starter diagnostics. Maybe it will help...

http://easyautodiagnostics.com/misc-index/starter-motor-on-car-tests-1

OP
OP
T

Tenthjester65

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys sorry about to start back woking on it this week hopefully. I got super busy and now its time to get it runming and right. East302 ill try all that asap.

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk