1998 Tahoe Mini H1 in spyder headlight retrofit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chaingun427

OBS Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Well I'm getting as good as I did with my stock housings. There is a sorry of shield over the low beams that I think is blocking a lot of light, any idea why those are there? I'm wondering if these are made for an his low and those are to prevent too much glare?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

RynoHarris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I'm getting as good as I did with my stock housings. There is a sorry of shield over the low beams that I think is blocking a lot of light, any idea why those are there? I'm wondering if these are made for an his low and those are to prevent too much glare?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

They are glare caps

Sent from my LGMS659 using Tapatalk

chaingun427

OBS Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Probably still can't run HID's without projectors tho huh?, in the meantime as the light from the new housings is better but still a bit dull due to the smoked color i'm thinking of getting HIR bulbs, my local Deere dealer can get me the 9012's cheap enough, but the phillips 9011's are more expensive. Anyone here have experience with those bulbs, there are Wagner and Phillips available on the interwebs and i'm thinking of going with the wagners

RynoHarris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The glare caps help with the the glare from the hids. Not quite as bad as without glare caps are

Sent from my LGMS659 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
B

btewalt10

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Personally, I wouldn't run hids in the stock low beams, even with the glare caps and smoked housings. I feel they wouldn't be too bad if you did though, IMO projectors are the only way to go. I will never own a vehicle that doesn't have them on there anymore lol. After putting them in I can't believe I didn't do it sooner.

chaingun427

OBS Mad Scientist
Reaction score
I plan on running a set of 9012s until I can retrofit the mini d2s but I need some front end work before I can afford them

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Roger

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Screenshot_2017-02-24-11-13-32.png

I ordered a set of these the other day. Im thinking LEDS should also shine behind a projector. Im curious how close they are in size to your HID bulbs and do you think they will fit behind the MH1 or the FX-R? The dimensions are 7.2 x 5.4 x 2.1 inches

99YukonJack

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This is a cool looking setup. I see you posted this a few years ago and I'm wondering how it worked out for you and where you got the idea. I'm looking to start some serious upgrades to my 99; paint is peeling and I'm thinking of going matte black instead of glossy. A rig like this would work nicely.

So i picked up this set of lights hd-jh-cck88-sm-set_1.jpg i'll be running them with my current silverstars until i can get the projectors lights and ballasts etc, i'll keep you posted on that project as i work on it :)

OP
OP
B

btewalt10

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This is a cool looking setup. I see you posted this a few years ago and I'm wondering how it worked out for you and where you got the idea. I'm looking to start some serious upgrades to my 99; paint is peeling and I'm thinking of going matte black instead of glossy. A rig like this would work nicely.
Hey, just happens I was looking to update my headlights and looking at my old thread and saw you comment. Everything still works great it’s been like 4 years almost and the only thing is that the bulbs have faded and not quite at bright, which is normal for a HID bulb, I’m going back with the retrofit source and getting new projectors and headlights, just cause I mainly enjoy working on it and having kick ass headlights lol. Overall after 4 years still loving it and would recommend lol!

OP
OP
B

btewalt10

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey, just happens I was looking to update my headlights and looking at my old thread and saw you comment. Everything still works great it’s been like 4 years almost and the only thing is that the bulbs have faded and not quite at bright, which is normal for a HID bulb, I’m going back with the retrofit source and getting new projectors and headlights, just cause I mainly enjoy working on it and having kick ass headlights lol. Overall after 4 years still loving it and would recommend lol!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AT4Hunter