1998 Tahoe Mini H1 in spyder headlight retrofit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
B

btewalt10

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yea that sounds good, TRS also carries some generic Mini H1s they are the same thing only not tuned and they dont have the same warranty. They cost only 40 bucks although they are backordered, they will get some back in. So there is that option too. You would not need projectors for the highs, they will be fine, you will need a high beam splitter if you want both the projector highs and the stock highs to turn on at the same time. I do also recommend the relay kit for the HIDs.

Here are some comparison pics of the halogens and the Mini H1s, quite the difference.

this is one halogen projector
IMG_1203.jpg

Heres the Minis, well only one

IMG_1206.jpg

And here is an output shot down an old backroad

IMG_1248.jpg

chaingun427

OBS Mad Scientist
Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting the morimoto mini's and calling it a day, the more i think about it the more i want them in stock (looking) crystal enclosures instead of the spyder style ones they just feel a bit ricey to me. with the bixenon's i'll have low and high on one projector and i'll probably add another set of HID's on a switch to what used to be the high beam location for when i really need my truck to mimic the surface of the sun.

OP
OP
B

btewalt10

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yea if I could go back I would've just retrofitted some mini h1s or an FX-r into the stock crystal clear headlights, I saw a picture of some done that way and they looked good!!! I thought that i would be too inexperienced to do it properly though, but now I want too haha. I would stick with 4300k bulbs they will give you the best performance and light output over a 5000 or 6000k bulb. If you're going to do this look into the FX-R from TRS, it's a full size projector with wider throw and better high beam as well as everything else. You may have to do some research on whether it's going to fit or not, you could always call TRS and ask they could definitely help!

chaingun427

OBS Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Im looking at the new d2s morimotos, they have a square lens :3 and they are bi xenon. Im thinking im going to run 4 wide bixenon if they arent too difficult to retrofit. Im assuming I just remove the lens, cut out the reflector to the correct diameter and then insert and aim the projectors? Are they supposed to be aimed straight out in the housing or should they be angled in or out a bit?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
B

btewalt10

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've heard the new mini D2S is pretty good, I don't think you're gonna have enough room behind the high beam for another projector and it's really not needed because you can get too much foreground light which hurts distance vision, look on hidplanet.com they have lots of info about quad retros, but yea the d2s is supposed to be better than the mini 6.0 so I would give it a shot. Yea on mounting them just try to get them flush and straight, I would see if you could aim them to where you can get good use outta the stock high beams, I'm running hids in my highs and they really only give out more foreground light, they point too low.

chaingun427

OBS Mad Scientist
Reaction score
So i picked up this set of lights hd-jh-cck88-sm-set_1.jpg i'll be running them with my current silverstars until i can get the projectors lights and ballasts etc, i'll keep you posted on that project as i work on it :)

chaingun427

OBS Mad Scientist
Reaction score
New lights are in and look great. Could I ask what temp you used to heat yours to separate the lenses, and what sealant you used to put them back together? These also have 2 little vent tubes on the back should those be connected to something?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
B

btewalt10

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yea, I had it on 250 for around 10 minutes. You just want to make sure that the glue gets hot enough to spread apart, also when reselling them I just put them back in the oven to reheat the glue and I went around the edges with black rtv silicon to be on the safe side. As far as the vent tubes go, I am unsure if they need to go to anything or not. I know my old turn signals had so e holes in them with some little mesh covering it I assume to keep out water. Which projectors did you end up with and bulbs, I'd like to see some pics of your retro too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2DoeProjectHoe